Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: New kid on the block
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 am 

Hi everyone! My name is Joel Hedgpeth and I live in Savannah, GA. I just joined the group here, as I am a volunteer at the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum here in Savannah restoring our B-17G "City of Savannah".

A bit about me - I was bitten by the "aviation bug" when I was 7 years old, and it is a terminal condition! I am a commercial pilot (not current) and an A&P mechanic. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Aviation Technology from LeTourneau University in Longview, Texas. I currently work as a Reliability Engineer for Gulfstream Aerospace. My main area of interest in aviation is WWII history, especially of the various Allied aircraft types. All this led to the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of the B-17G "City of Savannah" restoration project for the past 2+ years.

I would like to lean on the expertise of the community here as we encounter various issues during our restoration project. We will not be returning the aircraft to an airworthy condition, but want to make it as authentic as possible to what was processed through Hunter Army Airfield in 1945. Our aircraft will not just be a static display, but will be somewhat "interactive". We are activating certain systems (exterior lights, flight controls, bomb bay doors, gun turrets, radio room equipment) for the enjoyment and education of our visitors. Any assistance or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this community.