Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:03 pm 

Hi, my name is Larry, 47 years young, live in South Texas, married to the most wonderful woman in the world (25 years), 5 childern, 3 grand kids. I worked in restaurants most of my life until 1990, got hooked up with this great company that does modifications to Cessna Aircraft, from 180's to the 500 series.

The boss gave me the chance to rebuild (from crates) a T-28C, took two years and we have won a couple of awards with her (Mi Sancha).

I am now the Shop Foreman for the company and in charge of his warbird collection, T-28C, AT-33, P-51D, Siai Marchetti 1019, Waco YMF and a few other aircraft in his personal collection.

I am living the dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Larry,

Welcome aboard! I envy you and your job. I look forward to reading your posts and comments about your work, etc.

Cheers,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:55 pm 

larrym59 wrote:
Hi, my name is Larry, 47 years young, live in South Texas, married to the most wonderful woman in the world (25 years), 5 childern, 3 grand kids. I worked in restaurants most of my life until 1990, got hooked up with this great company that does modifications to Cessna Aircraft, from 180's to the 500 series.

The boss gave me the chance to rebuild (from crates) a T-28C, took two years and we have won a couple of awards with her (Mi Sancha).

I am now the Shop Foreman for the company and in charge of his warbird collection, T-28C, AT-33, P-51D, Siai Marchetti 1019, Waco YMF and a few other aircraft in his personal collection.

I am living the dream.

Kiss up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:59 pm 

I have already posted a couple of times so I better make it official and post here. :D

I'm Kevin from N. Texas and have been a aviation nut all of my 43 yrs. My late father was pilot instructor during WWII and logged time on many different warbirds from the PT-19 on up to the P-51. I have 2 Uncles that served as well and I got a lot of good stories from them as a kid to last a lifetime. For some odd reason I never followed up on the dream to fly myself although one Uncle let me pilot his Cessna 152 once after we took off. There is always hope... :wink:

My first real warbird experience was the CAF show in 1970. (I kept the program all these years):

I was 7 yrs old and that same day I spotted the gate guardian B-36J and to this day tend to favor the bombers and larger piston aircraft.

I am happily married with a son and hope to pass the aviation fever on to him.

Been a long time lurker here. The WIX is one of my regular stops on most days. Great place!

Best,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 pm 
Senior Moderator

Kevin,

Cool Program!

Welcome to WIX!

Zane

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller!

My name is Jesse Chavez, 39, from San Diego CA and I have been a warbird nut since I was a kid when I saw Battle of Britain and then Black Sheep on t.v.

Most of my aviation expirience was while in High School since we had a hands on Aviation and Tech class. We where building a Thorp T-18 homebuilt that showed me how much fun drilling rivets is! I plan on doing some volunteer work for the Aerospace Museum and get more active in the Warbird community. I work for the San Diego Community College District and it has an Aviation Class that I plan on taking full advantage of very soon! Lots of cool stuff laying around in there!

I also work part time at our local Drag Strip and crew on a few dragsters for fun. I have been Hot Rodding since I was a kid also and have been very surprised on how much Warbirds and Hot Rodding have in common! How else would I have sat in the seat of a B-17, it was in a 32 Ford!

In advance I will apologize for the dumb questions and hope to learn and contribute as much as I can.

Color Me Gone!

Jesse Chavez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:24 am 

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris Ott. I'm 31 years old. Just found out about this site a couple of days ago (thanks Google). I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin, originally (just north of OSH), and have my private license. I'm in Manchester, England, at the moment, but plan on getting back home for EAA. Still trying to find airplanes to fly over here that won't cost both arms and legs.

I've been interested in warbirds since the Blue Angels visited ATW back in '83, and, of course, from watching Black Sheep Squadron, after which my friend and I would ride our bikes around pretending they were Corsairs. I'd love to try the real thing someday. My earliest airplane memory is standing at my grandfather's farm across the lake from OSH, and watching Fifi fly directly overhead on its way to the show. I've been to Oshkosh almost every year since 1985, missing a couple here and there for various reasons. It's a lot easier when you live nearby :wink:

Anyhow, I just thought I'd say hello before I start asking questions...

CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:47 pm 
No Longer Active - per request

cott wrote:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Chris Ott. I'm 31 years old. Just found out about this site a couple of days ago (thanks Google). I'm from Appleton, Wisconsin, originally (just north of OSH), and have my private license. I'm in Manchester, England, at the moment, but plan on getting back home for EAA. Still trying to find airplanes to fly over here that won't cost both arms and legs.

I've been interested in warbirds since the Blue Angels visited ATW back in '83, and, of course, from watching Black Sheep Squadron, after which my friend and I would ride our bikes around pretending they were Corsairs. I'd love to try the real thing someday. My earliest airplane memory is standing at my grandfather's farm across the lake from OSH, and watching Fifi fly directly overhead on its way to the show. I've been to Oshkosh almost every year since 1985, missing a couple here and there for various reasons. It's a lot easier when you live nearby :wink:

Anyhow, I just thought I'd say hello before I start asking questions...

CO

Hey Chris...glad to see another "cheesehead" warbird nut on this forum! :D I'm originally from Oshkosh and know Appleton quite well.

Welcome aboard!! 8)

John

By the way...this thread reminds me of an AA meeting. Hi...my name is John...I'm 37 years old and an alcoholic...("hi John!). :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 pm 

Greetings all.
Been watching the board for some time and finally signed up earlier this month.

I fly professionally (Corporate) and do a little warbird flying when someone is kind enough to loan me their bird. I have also done restoration work.
My list of warbirds checked out in is Stearman, L-4, T-6, T-34, T-28. It's been my lifelong dream to marry a rich nymphomanic who's father has a warbird collection that needs to be exercised. :lol:

See you on the boards,
Sam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:03 am 
No Longer Active - per request

Tinker51 wrote:
It's been my lifelong dream to marry a rich nymphomanic who's father has a warbird collection that needs to be exercised. :lol:

I think that's all of our dreams...LOL! :lol:

Welcome aboard Sam!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:05 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Howdy, My name is John Schauer, born in 1955. Got my aircraft mechanics license, and pilots license in 1975, joined the Minnesota Air Guard as a C-130 mechanic. Worked for Eastern Airlines from 1980 -1986, quit and started working for American Airlines ever since. Joined the CAF in 1976 and have been active since then. Joined the Texas Air Guard in 1986 and started flight engineering on C-130s in 1989, flew in Desert Storm and retired from the Air Guard in 2002 with 26 years as a Master Sgt. Flight Engineer/Instructor. Started flying as flight engineer on the CAFs B-29 in 1998? and am hoping to continue flying her for many more years. Favorite aircraft are KC-97, B-29, Lockheed A-12/SR-71.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:33 am 

Hello Folks, Nice to find this great Warbird site & all those folks interested in the classic warbirds & the great sounds & sites of those fantastic radials & big props! It is a pleasure to be accepted in this on line aviation comunity for the preservation of these great Warbirds of yesteryear. I am one of the flightcrew members on the BAHF C54/DC4 <Spirit Of Freedom> Flying Museum of Berlin Airlift History. My job function is that of one of the assigned Loadmasters on this fantastic,rare & unique Proptransport. I retired after 29 yrs total service with the USAF,AFRES & NJANG Soon after I retired in 93 I found the BAHF that Mr Tim Chopp was putting together & liked his ideas & his goals in forming a great Nonprofit all volunteer aviation Foundation & createing a Museum inside a C54 that took part in the Berlin Airlift. This aircraft is very popular on the airshow circuit all over the Country. We were honered & proud to attend over 30 shows in the 2006 season.We also own a very Rare Boeing C97 STRAT,one of only 2 that is still Airworthy in the WORLD! It now resides in the hangar at our base of Operations in Brooklyn NY at Floyd Bennett Field. now in work to become a Flying Museum of COLD WAR HISTORY. SAFE Flying to ALL & Enjoy the 2007 airshow season upon us! THANKS,JR

Last edited by reedyreed on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm 

Hi all

My name is Ricardo Prambs, I´m from Chile, South America, I have to say this is the BEST WARBIRD FORUM!!!, I work in restoration proyect for the Chilean Air Force Museum and for my own personals proyects, I just love old props.

I´m married and have two son, I´m an Architect.

Regards

Ricardo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 pm 

Soloed in Phoenix '72, 20 year member of Arizona Wing CAF, SIC qualified on B-17 and He-111, current TBM pilot. A&P. CAP and many other aviation alphabets. I own the STC on my turbo'ed, restored and polished C-185 Skywagon. A computer-head since the early 70's, my business since 1995 is doing websites and Internet marketing for aviation businesses, with over 250 websites and 23 aviation organizations all hosted on my own server farm in Colorado. I love flying and airplane nose - except jets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:24 pm 

Howdy,

My name is Eric. I am 40 years old and have been into aviation and airplanes since I could raise my head to watch them. One of my earliest memories was as a very young lad being taken out along a road and parking to wait for something. I didn't understand the significance at the time, but what we watched was the final landing of the XB-70 Valkyrie at Wright Patterson.

I am a member of the CAF SoCal wing and do aviation photography as a hobby and part time business. I have a wife of 10 years and 2 kids, a daughter aged 1 and a son aged 5. My son has the bug too and enjoys hanging out at the airport with dad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next