Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My names Taylor Stevenson. My father, Gordon Stevenson, had always loved WWII aviation and in 1989 he purchased a North American AT-6G Texan and two weeks later signed up for flying lessons! Since I was born, He and I have been very active in the CAF. In 2005, on my 16th Birthday, I soloed a 1946 Piper J3-C65 "Cub" before I got my drivers license. This year I got my Private and have done two shows since. I'm trying to build time so I can get into the T-6, but dad has told me that, "Your first solo in the T-6 will be the missing man at my funeral!" :D We'll see...

Taylor

P.S. Thats my stepmother (Her father was the Sq. commander of the 514th BS 376th BG and led the second Ploesti Raid), My father, myself, and Dick Rutan at the 2006 CAF AIRSHO Midland, TX.

Post subject: Intro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 pm 

me109me109 wrote:
My names Taylor Stevenson. My father, Gordon Stevenson, had always loved WWII aviation and in 1989 he purchased a North American AT-6G Texan and two weeks later signed up for flying lessons! Since I was born, He and I have been very active in the CAF. In 2005, on my 16th Birthday, I soloed a 1946 Piper J3-C65 "Cub" before I got my drivers license. This year I got my Private and have done two shows since. I'm trying to build time so I can get into the T-6, but dad has told me that, "Your first solo in the T-6 will be the missing man at my funeral!" :D We'll see...

Taylor

Ah, yes... aviation is a small world. Taylor, your dad gave me my first T6 ride! Buddy of mine even took a pic of me in the back of it during the flight.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dtlinn/Favo ... 7759546354

Good to hear that you are flying yourself around now. When I first met you I think you were about 5 or 6!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:05 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Okay, most of y'all already sort of know me through the B-24A thread, along with other ramblings I've posted throughout WIX. But I thought I'd go back and make a "proper" introduction here.

My name is Gary Austin and my aviation interest started immediately after being born acutally. Since my dad worked at an aircraft maintenance facility, I was literally taken to an airport before I was taken home from the hospital. The passion for airplanes just grew as I did and there was a point in my life I could've probably told you waaaay more about airplanes than I could now (I used to be smart when I was a kid). Heck, with my dad in the right seat, the first airplane I ever ran up was one of FedEx's Falcons (N8FE, now in the Smithsonian). I was seven years old at the time. :shock:

My first recollection of being around Warbirds was essentially at the Reno Air Races in 1976, at six years old. We went nearly every year thereafter, until I became a teenage punk. I started going back in 1994 as a crew member on AT-6's (Fred Johnson & Gene McNeeley's airplanes). From '97-'01, I was fortunate enough to be in the Unlimited crews, with Nelson Ezell, Stu Dawson, Howard Pardue, and Joe Thibodeau. I will always feel fortunate to have been part of the teams there. I have been given another wonderful opportunity this coming year and will be racing in the Formula One class, racing a Cassutt Racer for a friend of mine. So 31 years after my first arrival at the Air Races, I will finally be able to fly around those pylons!

As far as working on airplanes, I think y'all have heard most of that. So the short version is the following..........I worked at a prop shop while still in high school (got to leave school early on a "hardship program" so that I could earn keep for myself), worked at a scumbag flight school working on spam cans, owned and operated my own aviation restoration/maintenance business (which is when I discovered I am certainly no businessman), worked for Ezell Aviation which is no doubt the personal highlight of my career, re-opened my own aviation restoration/maintenance business (which is when I confirmed I was no businessman), and finally came to work for the B-29/B-24 Squadron for the CAF. I haven't had any sleep since. :roll:

So there you have it. Nothing amazing, but it is what it is. Oh, by the way, here's a picture of what I think is me at my first Reno visit in 1976.......

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:03 pm 

Greetings All,

Well, I know I have made few postings here, but this is the first time I ran across this thread. So, Let me introduce myself. My name is Paul McGreal. And, I guess aviation is in my blood. My Dad was in the Air Force during the Korean War as a Crew Chief on C-119's and then went on to be a Sheetmetal Lead Mechanic at Mohawk/Alleghany/USAir until he retired. For myself I was gonna be an Engineer, but things didn't work out that way and I went to Tech School at the Williamsport Community College in Williamsport, Pa and got my A&P. I figured if Dad could put a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and food on the table so we could live comfortably, I wanted to do the same thing in a honorable proffession.

I started my career with Stambaugh's Air Service in Harrisburg, Pa back in 1982. When I got there I found that we were sharing our hangar with the folks from the Mid Atlantic Air Museum. So, I signed up to be a volunteer there. It was GREAT....I got to work on warbirds and help restore them and at the same time keep gaining experiance in my trade. From there I went to Nashville to get to work on my first "Heavy Jets" DC-8's....got laid off after six months....a week later I got the call from Republic Airlines...kept doing sheetmetal work and some pretty heavy structural work too. Northwest bought us.....and....I would still be there if it weren't for the current management who wanted all the mechanics and our union off the property. I became an Inspector in 1988 and got into NDT (Non Destructive Testing) and finished my career with Red Tail as a Lead Inspector. But during the time I was out in Minnesota, I also worked for Bob Pond's Planes of Fame (East) and the great collection they had out there. Loved every minute I was with PoF.

I still love to go to airshows and have hitting them since I was a kid...the first time I saw a B-52 I was hooked :lol: and I wish there were some folks out here in the area I live in, Windsor, Ct. that might like to have someone with a little experiance to help them out with a Warbird or two that are flyers....static resto's are fine with me too. I'd love to live the one thing I have never yet done. Even with all the time I put in with MAAM and PoF...get a ride in a Warbird. So.......I guess what I am saying is "I'll work for a flight" :lol: . I'm not directly involved in aviation at the moment, but I am a Level III NDT Inspector now and run 2/3 of my company's NDT department. It's not airplanes...but it was the next logical step in my career.

So folks...there I am in a nutsell. Hope to meet some of the Wixers from the area I'm in now.

If I can help let me know....

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm 

Hello,

I have been a part of WIX since September 2005 and have enjoyed every moment of it. My real name is Michael, but my username is warbirdguy. I'm currently attending Purdue University North Central (a branch of Purdue University) for Elementary Education. I hope to graduate in the next 4-5 years depending on how my classes go. Hopefully I'll be employed in my old school district. My first acquantance with a warbird was the B-29 Superfortress "Fifi" at the 1989 Hoosier Hoopla air show in Valparaiso, IN. However I would have to say the Collings bombers have influenced me greatly. I have seen them every time they visited Valparaiso. I've actually traveled to Kokomo and Benton Harbor on the years they didn't come to Valpo. I'm very fortunate to have a fantastic museum only couple miles from my home. I seriously considering volunteering at the Indiana Aviation Museum this coming spring. I'm also considering becoming a re-enanactor but I haven't decided.

Last edited by warbirdguy on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:56 am 

My name is Ed Likes, and Iam a big time lurker I seldom post. I live near Bryan OH, and I work for a firm that makes Ready to Assemble Furniture. I got hooked on Warbirds in 1975 when I bought an issue of Air Classics that had the late Bill Ross P-38 on the front cover. Iam a member of Warbirds of America also the Yankee Air Force as well as the group that is restoring DOC the B-29. I support these organizations more as a dues paying member than anything else. Though with the Yankee Air Force I have helped out over the course of a good many years at some Airshows thier Polishing Party etc.
The last few years I have been very fortunante to do some Air to Air photo shoots with the T-6 gang in their formation clinics it was very memorable to be up in the air with 30 other T-6's. Also I have been involved with a few articles that made it into Warbirds Digest, Warbirds of America and Warbirds International.
I also have flown in a number of different Warbids over a 25 year time span. From P-51's to B-17's to Trainers. I have met a number of great people thru the Warbird movement, and some of you folks I would like to meet in person sometime as well. I will continue to LURK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:05 pm 

Hi All, my name is John Saldana and live in Porterville,Ca. found this site while lurking around the AirTanker.com site, my really first time I got bite by the AV bug was when as a child went to see the Blue Angels at NAS.Lemoore airshow, and they were flying the F-11 Tigers, i'm NAVY retired spending 22yrs as an Aircraft Mech. busted wrenches on EA.3B Skywarriors,P-3C Orions,SH-3G SeaKnights,UH-1N Hueys and E-2C Hawkeyes. Althought I don't turn wrenches on Airplanes anymore still love to stay in touch with the community, this is a great site and i'm glad I found it :D :D :D

P.S. Scott, I was in VQ-1 on NAS.Agana Guam from 72-75 working on the A-3 Whales and was wondering if your Father might have been there at that time.
Regards, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:56 pm 
Senior Moderator

Howdy,

My name is Zane Adams, I live in Arlington, Tx.
I have been an airplane nut as long as I can remember.
My dad worked for North American in Dallas during WWII building AT-6's, B-24's and P-51's.
My uncle was a B-24 pilot, 465th BG, 783BS, Italy. These men were my heroes. They had much to do with my love of old airplanes.
I earned my Private Pilot ticket in 1985 ( I haven't flown in 15 years now $$$:( ) the family is more important.
I actively volunteered with the B-17 Chuckie for several years and that experience really cemented the fact that I am hooked on warbirds. since then I have been loosely involved with the B-17 and for a while with an unsuccessful startup of the Texas Air Command museum with the last of the Bolivian F-86's, a T-6 and 2 OH-58's and a Huey (that is now in the Smithsonian American History Museum)
I found Wix earlier this year! WOW I thought the magazine stands were my only source of a fix...
Thanks Scott!

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:01 pm 

My name is Joe Kendall. I am a 27 year veteran of the US.Army/Reserve/National Guard. My initial training and first love is on the Uh-1 series of aircraft. I am currently the last soldier in the US ARMY whose sole MOSQ is 15M20F ( the new 67N). All other soldiers still wrenching on Hueys have been reclassed as 15T.

I grew up in Northern California, the Napa Valley. I spent many weekends at the Santa Rosa Fire Fighting base. I vividly remember seeing the remains of the F-15 reporter there and wishing I could sneak them home somehow. I also remember a ton of Harpoons(?) At the old Schellville airport.

My Grandfather lived in Nevada, and we attended the Air Races for many years. I also remember my Grandfather taking me on a trip in the mountians to see "an old airplane". This turned out to be a wrecked F6F. Gramps had one of the machine guns from it for a couple of years before turning it in to the base at NAS Fallon ( Gramps was a retired Naval Officer). I am not sure that we could have driven up to the front gate of a military base now with a 50 Cal. in the back of the Scout! I know we got a couple of strange looks as we hauled that thing through the parking lot of the "O" club!

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:16 pm 

My name is Kyle. My love of aviation started when my grandfather took my brother and me for a ride in his Cessna when I a little boy. He was a P-40/P-51 pilot with 75 FS/23 FG in the CBI theater during WWII. I had plenty of aviation books, toys, models when I was growing up so I could dream about being a fighter pilot like him.

My grandfather in China with his P-51 (sorry, not scanned, but just a picture of a picture):

Unfortunately, bad eyesight ruined my hopes of military aviation. So, I went with my second love: tanks. I served 2 years (2003-2005) as a M1A1 tank platoon leader and I served in Iraq (October 2005-October 2006) as a wheeled scout platoon leader doing all the fun jobs of clearing routes and commanding combat logistics patrols and now I am about to take command of our squadron's HHT.

Me with one of my M1A1s in 2005:

Me in Iraq in July 2006:

My grandfather passed away in November 2004 and it is unfortunate that he didn't tell me more about his experiences. So, my love and interest in warbirds grew through him and has grown since his passing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My name is Paul H. Krumrei, Sr. I am 36 years of age and I was born in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

I have had a passion for airplanes since I was about 4 years old, when a friend of mine and
I decided to walk from the house ( about 2 miles )and watch the airplanes taking off from the Grand Rapids/Itasca County Airport.

Let's just say that every cop in town was looking for me all day, as my mother lost her mind looking for me.

She found me 6 hours later, still at the airport watching them darn planes taking off and landing all day long!

Well, my grandfather, H. Bruce Hoch of Anoka, purchased and restored a BT-13 Vultee in the late 60's and flew the plane up until his death in 1989.

I loved that airplane and flew in it often with him. I still see the aircraft once in awhile at air shows, as it is now owned by a wonderful woman, Janet. You can visit her site at www.vulteeexpress.com.

The BT-13 has and war birds have always fascinated me and I always dreamed of owning one myself. (I don't but still have that dream)

I joined the United States Air Force in 1989, hoping to get into the new technology of aircraft and just be around airplanes for a living. I was stationed in Omaha, Nebraska at Offutt Air Force Base, the middle of cornhusker country!

I was assigned to the 55th SRW or 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.

This wing was the backbone to the Strategic Air Command (SAC), then in 1992 was converted to the now known Air Combat Command (ACC)

Offutt Airforce base had the rarely known RC-135(below picture), EC-135 and E-4B aircraft. (www.Offutt.af.mil) I was then deployed to Desert Storm in 1990-1992.

Coming back from the Desert Storm Tour of duty, I was returned to Offutt where I was assigned to the E-4B National Emergency Airborne Command Post (NEACP). Pronounced (Knee-Cap) or known as NightWatch, this was basically a Boeing 747-200 aircraft with classified communications equipment.

We had 4 of them stationed at Offutt. (http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=99)
I supported these 4 aircraft along with the 1st ACCS Squadron (Airborne Command and Control Squadron) working along side the Boeing Aerospace Company.

The aircraft is the airborne command post for the President of the United States in the event of a nuclear or national emergency, along with the JCS or Joint Chiefs of Staff that report directly to the Predident of the United States of America.

Most people think that Air Force One is the airborne command post, but this is true only in peace time.

The E-4B, which follows the President of the United States of America in the event of a national emergency could command all U.S. military forces from her.

This was a special treat to work with a Joint Chiefs of Staff Aircraft and with the Boeing Company, along with supporting the President of the United States of America and other High Priority Staff members of the United States of America.

The picture above is of an E-4B in flight. Notice the "hump" on the top?

This "hump" is an SHF antenna (Super High Frequency) used to link up communications to the
aircraft and ground forces via satellite communications.

The E-4B has mid-air refueling capability giving it unlimited range, based on crew stamina. This is a -200 747 which is the smaller than those 747-400's you normally see at civilian airports.

In 1993 I was assigned to support the RC-135U "Combat Sent" aircraft 849 at Royal Air Force base Mildenhall United Kingdom (England). The official comments on this aircraft are that it provides strategic electronic reconnaissance information to the president, secretary of defense, Department of Defense leaders and theater commanders. (http://www2.acc.af.mil/library/factsheets/rc-135u.html)

We also worked close with the support teams from Suda Bay in Crete and folks still in Saudi Arabia when at Mildenhall. This allowed operations to continue non-stop, around the globe.
Pictured below is an RC-135 Tail # 133 Support aircraft landing at Mildenhall that would visit our team at Mildenahll from Offutt.

Mildenhall was our deployed base of operations for Combat Sent. The motto for the 55th is "The sun never sets on the fightin' fifty-fifth" denoting that we had aircraft deployed all over the globe.
It was always good to see Tail #133 and Tail# 514
(supply aircraft with re-supply items)come to Mildenhall,
as it had parts and other items on it from Offutt.
Can't really tell much about Mildenhall, other than we drank
like typical Englishman and had a great time there!

The Bird in Hand tavern was always a local treat to play darts
with the "blokes" there!

The Galaxy Club on base was a nightly pit stop for us after hours as well!

After getting back from England, I then decided that I had enough of the Air Force Active duty and turned down my re-enlistment after serving 8 1/2 years of active duty. But before I served my
last few months of duty, I was selected to team up with what is know as the "Top Gun" of the Air Force, "Red Flag"

This duty was at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas Nevada home of the Thunderbirds, USAF demonstration squadron.

Red Flag (the 414th Combat Training Squadron) conducts war exercises (Red Flags) so that combat aircrews can train in the most realistic simulated war environment possible. Red Flags are not competitions between flying units, nor competitions between pilots.

Exercise participants come from flying units around the Air Force. Sometimes the Navy, Marines, Army and allied forces take part too. Every Red Flag exercise is made of 1, 2 or 3 periods. Each period is 2 weeks long.

At the end of each period, a whole new group of flying units arrives, and the last one leaves. Each period, they receive enough participants and aircraft to compose an AEF size flying wing.

I supported the entire 5 months of duty there in the fall of 1993, which our unit was award the Air Forces Outstanding Unit award for the participation of the simulated combat war game at Nellis AFB. ( imagine that, we just returned from war only two years prior to the mock war!)

I did however join the Nebraska Air National Guard, because I just could not get it out of my blood!

I signed up for a 2 year deal with the Air National Guard in Lincoln Nebraska. The 155th Air Refueling Wing.

This wing consisted of KC-135R model aircraft, which if you never seen a mid-air refueling up close and personal, it is an experience that you will never forget seeing two planes that close together live!

I currently moved back to Minnesota as of 2003 and live in Albertville Minnesota as a Software Developer.

I run warbird-central.com and bt-13.com, I have 5 Children and a wonderful wife Dionne, who keeps me in-line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:56 pm 

:(

Last edited by Former Member 2 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm 

Hello all!

My name is Scott Keller. I'm from the Buffalo, New York area. I always knew there was a site like this around, it's sad that it took me this long to find it. I found this site just before Christmas. Now that the last of the Christmas decorations are finally put away, I finally got around to joining the forum and introducing myself.

I've been hooked on airplanes, especially B-17's, ever since I saw the TV series 12 0'Clock High when I was a kid. When I was a teenager I took a demo ride at a local flight school and fell in love with flying immediately. I started taking flying lessons and got a job at the flight school working the line, gassing up the planes, helping the mechanics and doing just about every other job you can think of to help pay for flight time.

After a lot more work and a few more ratings, I got a job flying Cessna Conquests with a local company. After a while the constant traveling started to wear me down. The lack of money didn't help either. So I shifted gears. For the last 21+ years I've been an air traffic controller at Buffalo Tower.

This past summer I was finally able to fulfill a life long dream. I got a ride on the Collings Foundation B-17 when they stopped in Niagara Falls with 909 and Witchcraft. The wife agreed to let me go as long as I promised I wasn't going to die. I don't know why she doesn't like old airplanes. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Glad to be aboard.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 pm 

My name is Paul Talbott. Maried to wife Carol for 38 years, 4 "kids" & 7 grandkids. Live In Peachtree City, GA, about 25 miles south of ATL Airport. Oldest daughter lives ten minutes from CAK, so I've been over to MAP air museum several times. They are doing a great job on their Martin B-26. I'm a 62 year old, over-the-hill A & P. Retiired 2 years ago after a 35 year career with Delta Air Lines in Line Mtc and Training depts. Last 3 years were great, as I got to operate the motion sims 4 days a week, and fly them whenever the mood struck me!
Was born at Camp Forrest Tn, now Arnold AFB. My dad was an U S Army Capt and Army Aviator who flew L-3's & L-4's. Next month he will celebrate his 93 birthday. Had my first plane ride in a Cessna 120 at age 5 in Bloomington, IL. Have always been interested in aviation, particularly the 1930-45 era and VN airwar. Served in the USAF from April 1963 - Nov 1967 as a Russian Signals Intelligence Specialist working with the now famous/notorious National Security Agency. Spent 18 months in Turkey and a year a Danang AB, RVN. Most interesting job I ever had and a great bunch of folks to work with. Shot a lot of slides at DaNang, need to get them scanned sometime. "Unofficial" old aircraft historian for the Delta Air Transport Museum here in Atlanta, GA. Have written an article for the AAHS Journal on the history of Delta's aircraft back in 1979 when we celebrated our 50th anniversary. Have a fairly large collection of aviation books, magazines,photos, etc. mostly pertaining to WWII & Delta history. Really enjoy the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:13 am 

Good Day,

My name is MSGT Chris Schmidt. I am a retired USAF/ANG First Sergeant, last stationed at Hancock FLD, Syracuse NY. My original AFSC was Aircraft Armament Systems. I had experience on F4, F111, A10, and F16's in my 24 years of service.

What brought me to this site was an e-mail from my brother about some photos that were posted here of our Uncle George Kutsher. After poking around and seeing what goes on here, I thought I could lend a hand here.

I am currently employed by a Digital Imaging Company and work in their Photo Lab. I am married with three grown children and one grandchild.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next