Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 221  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:16 pm 

I like the"Jungle Queen" with Lil as the Queen just to make it pc.
Norm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:46 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think she should still stay diamond lil, she has been that way for many years. There are toomany changes in life, something has got to stay the same! I would do it without the nose art and if she is OD, than the name be yellow, if she is silver,,,,,,,,,then black. Got to admit, the brit sub scheme is pretty neat..........though I like the white........would suck to keep clean but the black would be just too hot in that texas sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:56 am 

Just a few shots showing Gary Austin working on the Liberator yesterday.
Gary is working on drilling out rivets to remove the tail cone which will be replaced with a B-24A tail gun mounting.

We interrupted Gary just long enough to talk about getting some of our High Sky Wing members over to help him do some "grunt" work on Lil.

Bill Coombes and Gary kidding around.

It is just amazing how much work Gary gets done with very little real help. Hopefully, these discussions may motivate some other members to pitch in when and where needed.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

N3Njeff wrote:
I think she should still stay diamond lil, she has been that way for many years. There are toomany changes in life, something has got to stay the same! I would do it without the nose art and if she is OD, than the name be yellow, if she is silver,,,,,,,,,then black. Got to admit, the brit sub scheme is pretty neat..........though I like the white........would suck to keep clean but the black would be just too hot in that texas sun.

You see that's the beauty of the whole thing. AM927 has two identities if you will. "Diamond Lil" which she has been for so many years and the British bomber/Sub-Hunter that she more than likely would have been had fate not stepped in and had her return to Consolidated's plant for repairs.

I think you could beautifully combine the two. AM927 could get dressed up and outfitted at a British Mk. I Sub-Hunter and still wear the "Diamond Lil" Nose art. The Brits were just as fanciful about nose art as we were. I think it would be a nice blending of what she would of been with what she is today.

Anybody good at making up aircraft profiles could come up with a concept of a "Diamond Lil" Mk.I Sub-Hunter Scheme. Personally I like the White scheme and if it gets dirty then it looks more authentic. :wink:

As far as "change" is concered, change is good. Everytime a warbird sheds it's skin for new paint, I get a little bummed inside. But I usually grow to like the new scheme. When the Collings foundation changed their B-24 from "A Dragon and his Tail" to "Witchcraft" I was beside myself. I really like the Dragon and his Tail scheme, but I got over it and now enjoy the Witchcraft scheme. There will always be pictures of these aircraft's past identities to look at and enjoy. Without changing schemes every now and again things become stagnant. I find it refreshing, before CF repainted their B-24, for some reason I had never heard of Witchcraft before. So the paint did it's job and opened my eyes to a peice of history I had not prevously known about. I love "Diamond Lil", she and "FiFi" believe it or not saw me off to my induction in to the U.S. Navy. I was leaving for bootcamp the weekend of the Dayton Air Show back in July of 1997. My buddy wanted to do something for me before I left so he took me to see the two bombers the day before. It was a real nice treat getting to go inside the aircraft and talk with the crews. So generally my outlook on life is to embrace change. But hey that's me.

As I stated before I look forward to AM927's reemergence and Gary please keep up posted, this is awesome.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:08 am 
Warbird Pilot

Looking at the work pictures above, wasnt there a lav and kitchen in the tail when the CAF acquired her?

Post subject: Wow what a shock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

To say i was stunned is understateent! Imagine after all this time Diamond Lil is getting a makeover. I think it is absolutely fantastic! Gary please keep us posted on the progress as this has got to be the number 1 project for reverse engineering a B24 ever!?

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I stated before that if Diamond Lil had gone to the Brits then she might have worn a black underside. But looking at the picture below, maybe not. The profile is of Diamond Lil/AM927's sister ship "AM926" in white.

Just an observation.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:24 am 
Warbird Pilot

white would be the worst color to paint a big 4 engined, flying oil leak

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:32 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Quote:
C'mon Gary go Sub-Hunter on the scheme.
It may be too early to think about schemes, but atleast I can plant the seed. She could wear the British Liberator Mk. I paint scheme, that she more than likely would of worn had she made it to the UK. Not to mention then you guys could install the air-to-surface radar and of course the four 20MM Hispano Cannon Belly Package
Like this, except i think she would of had a black underside

This is the correct scheme for Bullock's sub killer except that it was HO*H not HO*F. H-How had a cool insignia on the nose. Has I remember it was a Swordfish whose sword had a serated edge and he was wipping it back and forth. The undersides WERE white not black. The aircraft had a impressive tally of U-boat kills and also bested a FW Condor. I think it's a much better scheme that one who's claim to fame was getting blown up on the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:07 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Chuck Gardner wrote:

Compared to what? Light Tan or Silver? :roll: :wink:

"Pretty" Warbirds are all fine and dandy, but "my opinion" is that I like to see Warbirds show their heritage and look dirty. That's how 99% of them looked during the war.

I loved seeing "Texas Raiders" as a kid looking dirty and piant flaking off. Much more realistic and easy to imagine being there in the skys over Europe.

Personally I'm less impressed with a P-51 with a $30k High Shine paint job versus an aircraft like Glacier Girl where they used paint as accurate to the original as possible and therefore will wear similarly. Another is silver paint versus Natural Metal Finish.

But again this just my opinion.

Shay

Post subject: ????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Quote:

Can't be any worse than a P-51 with jelly beans all over it or a bright pink P-40?!

Post subject: return to Tulsa?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary,

I second all of the previous commentary on your efforts with Lil. We all owe you a big debt of gratitude. I am totally pumped that she will be in B-24A configuration instead of the hodge-podge that she's currently in. When the major changes are complete, is there any intention to bring her back to Tulsa for her annual winter maintenance? I sure got spoiled seeing her fly in every fall and watching her get checked out every spring. Shoot, even during my wedding photos my fiance saw me looking up as Lil circled over Tulsa and just laughed at me. I told her to get used to it. Anyway, just making a plug for bringing her back to Tulsa eventually.

Keep up the good work!

kevin

p.s.- I sure like the OD scheme with the "big-ass flag".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:41 am 

Gary,

Great job, It should be alot easier to sell to air shows and sell rides, with the new changes.

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:50 am 

I am a big fan of changing an aircrafts paint scheme every 5 years or so, if it is on the air show rounds every year, as it gives it new life to the air show coordinators and public.

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:26 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Thanks Michael,

I've always enjoyed it when we've been able to work/fly at the same airshows with the Yankee Air Force. I look forward to doing that some more next season.

Gary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 221  Next