Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Need some metalworking advice

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:02 am

I could use some advice or tips from those with sheet aluminum experience. I have some experience with sheet steel but not sheet aluminum. I have some sheet aluminum I need to cut and its 1/8th inch thick maybe slightly more. What is the best tool to use to make clean precise cuts that I could do myself with minimal tools? Will a reciprocating electric saw with the proper blade work? I tried once to cut some aluminum with a cutoff wheel. MISTAKE! One cut I need to make is a circle 9 inches in diameter.

Thanks!

Re: Need some metalworking advice

Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 am

A jigsaw with a hacksaw blade is probably your best bet.

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 pm

shrike wrote:A jigsaw with a hacksaw blade is probably your best bet.

Yep. Metal cutting jigsaw blade. Or a woodworking bandsaw. You can even use a circular saw.

The thing I've found with a jigsaw is you can only cut a little distance at a time before the blade heats up and clogs with aluminum. So you're left cutting a half inch or maybe an inch, then waiting. Boelube or some other lubricant helps with the cooling.

Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:11 am

Kyleb wrote:The thing I've found with a jigsaw is you can only cut a little distance at a time before the blade heats up and clogs with aluminum. So you're left cutting a half inch or maybe an inch, then waiting. Boelube or some other lubricant helps with the cooling.

Aluminum likes coarser teeth 14-18 TPI

Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:31 am

shrike wrote:
Kyleb wrote:The thing I've found with a jigsaw is you can only cut a little distance at a time before the blade heats up and clogs with aluminum. So you're left cutting a half inch or maybe an inch, then waiting. Boelube or some other lubricant helps with the cooling.

Aluminum likes coarser teeth 14-18 TPI

Agree and with thicker material that kind of tooth pitch works well. Ultimately, you want a pitch that gives you at least 1.5 teeth in the material at any given time for smoothness.

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:58 am

Jigsaw with appropriate blade and speed.I use beeswax as lubrication.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:21 am

Thanks for the tips wixers that's exactly what I needed to know. :drink3:
Post a reply