Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 pm 

As part of our promise to RB's members we announced to them, a week ahead of a major public announcement, some really exciting news, something that the project founder has been working on for the past 10 years and something that we think has created a real buzz in the warbird world. The paperwork was finalised just before the announcement and then last week we made a full public announcement....

RB396 has now acquired 1 of only 10 (currently known about) complete and restorable Napier Sabre engines. The full story can be found on the web site but this example spent its early life as a teaching aid and apart from the starter is complete with all ancillaries. We also have another 1/2 engine which we believe provides us with enough of a base for the Sabre to be restored and run.

RB is the first Typhoon project ever to have had a restorable Sabre and when combined with her being a genuine combat veteran it makes her a unique airframe. Public funding is needed to get her back in the sky so to this end the project was registered as a charity in early 2016 which means that RB quite rightly belongs to the public...a memorial to the sacrifices all the crews made for us.

It has been a very long road but all the trustees are really excited to have made it to this stage and judging by the response we have had on our facebook page and website there are a lot of others sharing our excitement.

I seem to be unable to post a picture of the engine...until I can work this out you can see the details here
http://hawkertyphoon.com/news/

Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group
http://www.hawkertyphoon.com
https://www.facebook.com/hawkertyphoonRB396/
Registered Charity (UK): 1167143

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Simply fantastic news. Their has certainly been an upswing in Typhoon preservation activity in recent years and I am confident that at least one flying example will emerge eventually. I just hope that it happens within my lifetime!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:33 pm 
KiwiZac

Chad, with this and the JP843 project both doing so well I fully expect it'll happen. We live in great times!

Bravo to the RB team. Looking forward to hearing a Sabre for the first time!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Splendid news! What a wonderful organization! :drinkers:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF