Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:44 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I don't post at WIX anymore. I took a break and found I like you guys better when I'm not waving my red flag and picking fights with the conservatives. It's just easier letting those comments slide by me, you know? I was starting to feel like a Bill Greenwood Clone, and rather than get bumped I decided to step back so I could retain my posting rights. But don't think I don't visit, and don't think I haven't enjoyed sharing your wealth.

Anyway, I'm bipolar and dealing with the depression side of it lately. Meds aren't working, I'm not truly unhappy, I'm just not happy. Things are not right. I was sitting here sipping a rum and coke and it occurred to me that I am a very lucky man. I've been suicidal in the past and my meds, if not making me the cheery guy I once was, have relieved me of that particular issue. And of course as I was mulling my own life over, I thought of someone who was very special here and who did not find the help I have been graced with. The old timers here will remember Gary Austin as fondly as I do. Newcomers, you don't know what you missed. If you don't know of him do a search of his name and be amazed at all he shared.

Gary, wherever you are, you lit up these rooms with your life, and I miss you.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:10 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Muddy, when you were pickin' fights with conservatives I was just a lurker :wink:
I saw your post and thought "Hey, alright! haven't heard from Muddy in forever. great to see"
Glad to hear from you sir and you are right, Gary was one of a kind. In the best way! :D
I have never felt such a sense of loss, for someone whom, I had never met.

I've been fortunate enough to learn from observation, that slingin' muck on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig.
You both get dirty and the pig don't care.
By and large I try to keep my posts positive, but, I've slipped up a time or two.
Typed before I thought, y'know how it goes. :shock:

Great to see you are still keeping an eye on us.
Hang in there friend. The world is better with you in it!

To Gary :drink3:

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:21 am 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Muddy, hope you continue to do well. And THANK YOU for remembering Gary. He is really missed !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice to read you again muddy! Good to hear you are fighting your demons. It takes courage to talk about such hard things! I wish you the best and hope you can go forth on your path towards progress.
Indeed Gary was one of a kind. I still fondly remember those days when he was here. I mentioned him in the thank you in my book I published last year. He will be remembered here and elsewhere for many many years to come.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Gary Austin is who told me about WIX, back in 2007. Yes, he is missed. Your presence here is too, Muddy.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:00 pm 

Muddy - Good to hear from you! Glad to hear you're overcoming life's obstacles. I like you, had an affinity for enhanced political discussion. I've learned that there are other boards to crawl on when I want to get down with the piggies. I keep it warbird oriented here. It's helped my mental health a great deal.

I raise a glass as well to Gary. It was his thread on the B-24, which I found while randomly crawling the internet. While I'm sad he's gone, I will be eternally grateful he led me here.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You are appreciated more than you know, as was Gary. Thank you for taking the time to share these honest feelings.

Hang in there.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:21 am 

I don't remember how I found out about WIX, but I used to occasionally lurk. At that time, Gary was doing a lot of custom fab work for Diamond Lil, and I was just astounded at his level of craftsmanship.

I also found myself thinking about him and his hangar cat the other day. He had a true gift, compounded by years of experience.

Hopefully, he has found the peace he was looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Amen, Bro Muddyboots.....I was blessed to have known Gary A. his last year on this planet. One thing I did find out very quickly, was the many friends the man had from all over the world....but a humbled man at times, and an ass kicker at others but always in presence, he was a caring person. I wish I could have known him better, and like everyone else that could sense the demons he delt with, wish I could have done something to help. In reflection, MB, do not think that you have no one to turn to...for I believe here in the WIX world, and in your private world, there are a lot of folks that love and care for you. I hope the best for you in dealing with your demons, don't let them drag you down Bro.
Gary must have liked you a lot if you were a conservative hunter!
G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:32 pm 

I did not know Gary personally, but I thought about him while watching Doc lift off on the web a couple of weeks ago. I think he'd be proud.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Howdy Muddy Boots!
Good to hear from you... I recall some of your pissin' contests ;-)
Hang in there... I have been at arms length with certain organizations for my own peace of mind, but had reason to think of Gary again recently.
His influence (on me) has even carried over into car restoration projects.

Anyhow- neither YOU nor Gary have been forgotten.

All the best,
SPANNER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Miss Gary as well... I still have the last pm messages from him.. just cant bear to delete them...

Blue Skies Gary.....

________

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A favourite photo of Gary. I too really miss him.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And another:

---Wingman Photo---