Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: G-1 oxygen tank resto
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 pm 

I picked up a G-1 tank at a local swap meet recently and need some help. I am a newbie to restoration work, but I would like to make sure I do this right.

First thing, somebody had most likely used it as a portable tank for use with a compressor. It had all kinds of brass fittings and a chunk of old rubber hose attached to it. Easy to remove, but I am wondering about the 1/4" bungs on the ends. They do not match those of another G-1 tank I own, and it looks a bit like a DIY weld job. Am I correct in this? I can`t find any real good detail shots on the web or in my collection.

Second, I found no traces of yellow paint on the tank, but I did find some Bronze green and OD green. Would the bronze possibly be a primer coat and the OD a finish coat? Would this have been something used / done post-war?

Third, I`m not a paint guy, and I don`t own a sprayer. What steps should I take to prepare the stainless surface to accept paint? How many primer / finish coats? Are there products out there availble to the non-pro like me?

Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated. I have come up with not much on the internet, and I am just not sure what to do next. I want to make this look like it was just taken out of a factory fresh plane in 1943 and stowed awy in a closet. Thanks all!

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:42 pm 

I can't help you much with the questions you did ask, but I can help you with the next questions you are going to have. I have a Tech Order for Oxygen tanks of this vintage that specifies the paint color specs and markings. PM me with your email or postal address and I will send you a copy of the T.O.

Godd Luck.
G Schwartz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 am 

Hi,

I'm not sure on the correct size fittings in each end, but I do think the welded on ends are correct.

The lighter of the two colors is interior green Federal spec 595a 34515 also called tinted chromate. This is the first coat of paint, they use the chromate primer as a corrosion protection, but on this stainless tank they are using the primer as a binder for the top coat. The bronze green looks correct for some cockpit interiors. If you can, I would recommend you hold off on completly stripping the paint off the tank until you have the colors eye matched.

Paint.... An easy way to paint, with high quality product that will match very well to your samples is to take your tank to an Auto Paint and Supply store. These companys match colors all the time for auto body repair shops. It can be expensive, over $100.00+ but most A/P Supply store can eye match the paint and put it in spray paint cans like what you would bye from a hardware store. With a spray paint can of a good primmer, you can top coat it with the paint you had eye matched.

Cleaning and getting it ready to shoot paint. Scotch brite pads, like what you would use to clean dish pans in a sink are available from your local hardware store. These work very well for cleaning the surface. In general, mainly when cleaning aluminum you will never use steel wool, as it can cause corrosion with the aluminum. So on airports and restoration shops you will find big piles of scotch brite but no steel wool. Once you have the complete tank cleaned, I would feather down the edges of what paint is left with wet/dry sand paper. 400 grit paper will work just fine. Wipe down the whole tank with laquer thinner to clean the surface from dirt and oils. Now you are ready to prime and paint.

I hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

Good luck with your project.

Bill