Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soplata collection
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

StangStung wrote:
Thanks for these pics. Soplata's place always kind of seemed like the mythic wonderland of lost warbirds made real. The pics reinforce that. One day, they'll all go to good homes I hope!

We are all hoping for the same thing. Mrs. Soplata said as of right now she didn't want to do anything with any of it. I can't blame her, she was right there with Walter throughout the years saving these at the time not wanted aircraft. Anyone with a heart must have compassion for this woman who still treasures what she and her late husband did all those years together. I'm sure that when the time is right the family will disperse with the aircraft. And hopefully they have the forsight to have the aircraft go to places where they will be appreciated for their historical significance and not what some would say their financial significance. Years ago when I talked with Walter he stated that it didn't matter if someone had hundreds of thousands of dollars, doesn't mean they would get the aircraft. Someone who truely appreciated aircraft would be better off with them. :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:33 pm 

I get that 100%. She doesn't see airplanes (or bits of airplanes), she sees her husband. Let them go when she can let them go. God bless the both of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

StangStung wrote:
I get that 100%. She doesn't see airplanes (or bits of airplanes), she sees her husband. Let them go when she can let them go. God bless the both of them.

Now I hope everyone understands why I did not over stay my visit or persist on the subject of what is to be done with the aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:45 am 

Good to hear. Many people don't make that consideration and end up causing more harm than good. I dearly hope they find good homes someday and avoid any gut-wrenching fates. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm sure in time they will all find their way to new home(s). In the mean time, respect the family and leave them to mourn their loss! :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:52 pm 

I know the planes back in the day were useless scrap. But given the number and size of the aircraft [or pounds of aluminum ] that would still be a lot of money. Was Mr. Soplata a scrap dealer or why did he purchase them and from where?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:08 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

He purchased them because of his love for aviation. He purchased them from the military when they deemed them useless and offered them for sale. The B-25 that has been sold recently was purchased after a landing accident years ago. Mr. Soplata was not a scrap dealer and as far as the aircraft being useless, yes they have been sitting but they still are way far from scrap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:40 pm 

Does anyone know if the AT-11 is still there?

Eric Miller
Project Warbird Salvage/Museum
http://www.projectwarbird.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yes I believe it is still there. :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Best Soplata thread in ages and I miss it completely...don't usually wander into Maintenance!

Re the question about Walt's Corsairs: there were four IDs usually listed, and Walt did indeed have at least three airframes...an incomplete FG-1A (the former Cleland team racer "Lucky Gallon"), which was still stored in Walt's basement at last word; an FG-1D (ex-NAS Akron gate guard), which was sold several years ago to collector Ken McBride in California and is slated for eventual restoration to fly; and of course the 1947 Thompson Trophy winning F2G-2 which so impressively returned to flight last summer, and is now owned by Tom Ungurean in Ohio and usually flown by Bob Odegaard. The fourth Corsair ID is a mystery. Are there parts of yet another Corsair still at Newbury? Wouldn't be terribly surprising if there were...

Here's the FG-1D in 1982.

And here's the F2G.

S.

Last edited by Steve T on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:12 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just looked over the pix...cool stuff...couple questions:

1. Did you happen to see any of these cockpits: B-52B, CF-100, Handley Page Victor? (I've got a personal connection with the latter two and a corresponding interest in what happens with them. Both could be made into good interactive displays.)

2. The slab sided blue aft fuselage wearing NAS Niagara Falls markings...what is that? Avenger? Tracker? It constantly amazes me that every time I see a new set of pix from Walt's, I spot something previously unseen like that...

What appears to be the nose of the AT-11 is visible in one of the Photobucket pix, so yes, it would seem still to be there. Parts of two or three other Beech 18s were present at one time too; in another of these recent shots I can see what looks like the RCAF-schemed rear end of one of those (Walt had the nose and centre section too).

Might be worthwhile to run down a list of what is NOT still there...going on memory, may miss one or two...

BT-13 Valiant (now in Canada)
O-52A Owl (now in Indiana)
P-80A (now on show at NMNA, Pensacola FL)
B-25J (now flying with Jerry Yagen in Virginia)
P-51D (N69X hulk, left for Florida many years ago)
XP-82 (with Tom Reilly for rebuild)
F-82E (with C&P Aviation in MN, rebuild to fly)
FG-1D (with Ken McBride in California)
F2G-2 (now flying in Ohio/Minnesota/Nevada)
F-84F (now with MAPS, Akron OH)

Oh, and about the stuff inside the Peacemaker...in the 80s, at least, that was a P-63A hulk and one fuselage of the XP-82. Here are the B-36 front end and the two fuselages inside, both seen in 1982...

Walt is said to have had a set of P-39 wings, but not a whole airframe.

S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm 

According to Bruce Orriss' Museum And Display Aircraft Of The United States published in 1976, 3 Corsairs are listed: F2G BuNo 88463/N5577N, FG-1D 88026, and F4U-1D 82850, but no mention of any 4th Corsair remains. I seem to recall that Walter had the remains of an S2F or TF-1 fuselage shipped from - I believe - Tennessee, but don't recall what markings were on it. It laid upside down when I was there probably in the 1990's. He had a fuselage of a T-34 with Fly Navy markings, but nothing from Niagara Falls. He obtained the P-63 from a Buffalo or Niagara Falls salvage yard - maybe he picked up some sections there....Leon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:49 pm 

I am hoping that maybe some on here can be of help to me. I plan on traveling to Ohio in April for the Raiders reunion in Dayton, and I am wondering if anyone on here has any way of contacting to Soplata Family. My friend who will be traveling with me and myself are both photographers specializing in aviation, and would be interested possibly photographing the aircraft on the farm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'd really like to see the P-47 brought back to life someday. Those are the first pics I think I've ever seen posted.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

krislhull wrote:
I am hoping that maybe some on here can be of help to me. I plan on traveling to Ohio in April for the Raiders reunion in Dayton, and I am wondering if anyone on here has any way of contacting to Soplata Family. My friend who will be traveling with me and myself are both photographers specializing in aviation, and would be interested possibly photographing the aircraft on the farm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

Google Soplata. From what I have heard within the past couple of weeks, the family is turning anyone and everyone away, they are tired of the constant intrusions and unwanted guests. Good Luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next