Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Haha, I wonder if I could talk my wife into a trip to England... 8) :lol:

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 am 

Time for an update from the American Air Museum :D

Last time we looked ~ work was underway to remove the trailing edge sections from the inner wings .....

1 - 2 - 3 .... LIFT and it's off

And pretty soon ~ the second one was on the floor too

Now we can see the engineering that lurks inside .....

It looks strong enough to take a freight train

Let's have a wander around this wing section and take some snaps

Stenciling will need to be reapplied when the restoration is nearing completion ~ that's many months away of course !

I need to include this shot of the exhaust system

otherwise we might spend hours trying to figure out what this is

Spaghetti Junction ?

The fuel cell in the wing looks in good condtion

And there are more labels to read

More soon :wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 am 
Account Suspended

Boy, if I could, I certainly would, mate! The misses and my four little children would never speak to me again (the misses part might be a blessing), but I would miss the kiddos!

This is going to be my most favorite thread ever!

Best,

Smisek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Who was it in another thread that was asking about how to get the heat exchangers out of the wing? Here's your clue and I'll bet you've changed your mind after seeing the last couple of dozen photos-it's like a new car, designed to be assembled easily but never taken apart with anything this side of a gas powered DOTCO.

GM changed the name of CHEVROLETS in China in the late 20's when someone told them that nonexistant sales were because the cars name was very, very close to 'this can never be fixed' in Mandarin :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 am 

Add me to the long list of people thanking you for the photo updated on the disassembly and restoration, it's been very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:07 am 

Thanks for the comments guys ~ it's nice to know that other people love the B-17 as much as me :D

I should start this Sunday morning post by scotching the rumor about me living in the B-17 .....

OK ~ so yes the curtains are still closed ~ but it was early in the morning when I took these !

And thankfully ~ the guys hadn't started banging and using power tools

It won't be long though before staff and volunteers get cracking on cleaning though .....

And the old girl is looking good from any angle

The next three pix were taken during the week and illustrate a section of fuselage being masked off

Now it's been sprayed with paint remover

And wrapped in plastic so the chemicals can do there stuff

Now we'll walk back down to the nose .....

I'll just pop the camera in there so we can see the interior .....

You'll have spotted the continuity error here ~ this interior shot was actually taken from the other side ( the curtains were open then ! )

Still ~ it looks pretty complete in there :D

And I thought I would finish this post with a word in French .....

"Fin"

More soon ! :wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am 

Peter,

Thank you very much for posting the pictures and keeping us updated on the restoration process. This thread is one of the first things I look at when I turn on the computer. I'm wondering a bit about the history of the Mary Alice. How did it get to the museum and is the interior equipment original to the airplane? As a model builder, I'm very thankful for the interior pictures and would not mind at all if you posted more.

I believe you mentioned in an previous posting that the Mary Alice will be restored to airworthy condition. Have you folks found much in the way of corrosion and if so how are you dealing with it. Also, I hope your hanger is well ventilated. I would not want to see anyone get sick due to fumes from the paint remover. Please be safe.

Keep up the good work,
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:11 pm 

Hi Bill,

The history of this B-17 is well documented in chapter 6 of the Haynes Owners Workshop Manual :)

She was operated from 1952 thru 1972 by the French Institute Geographique National ( IGN ) and then parked and used
as a spare source for the other B-17's in the IGN fleet ( which included removing the undercarriage )

When the B-17 that was to become Sally B was purchased from IGN by Euroworld in 1975 ~ Mary Alice ( then named "La Duxford Belle" )
was also purchased as a derelict hulk in 1975 for spares. It arrived in sections by road at Duxford the same year.

The B-17 was purchased by the Imperial War Museum in 1978 for restoration as a static exhibit. A huge undertaking that required sourcing
most of the WW2 interior fittings to make it look complete. I'd say that more than 80 pct of the WW2 interior kit now in place was missing when
the IWM took her on in 1978.

I'll be covering why "Mary Alice" was selected as the paint scheme during the previous restoration ~ if you can't wait 'til then ~ take a look
at the chapter from page 182 in Claims To Fame - The B-17 Flying Fortress by Steve Birdsall and Roger Freeman :wink:

I'm hoping to photograph the interior as the refurbishment continues over the next few months and I'll share those images here.

Mary Alice hasn't flown since 1972 and given her history as a spares source ~ it would never be a good candidate for an airworthy restoration.
This is not to say that the work that has been done ( and is being done now ) is not to the highest possible standards ~ because they people
on this project are motivated professionals. With assistance from supervised volunteers like me.

I think we are all keenly aware that the work done now has to be good enough to last the next 30 years ~ or longer.

The whole point about the American Air Museum at Duxford is to conserve airframes in a building that can sustain them for as long as possible.
They help to tell the history of American air power and educate future generations about the significant part it has played in the freedom of Europe.

There is some surface corrosion on the skins exposed so far ~ and I hope to show you that as it's treated on this thread.

The one thing that is paramount in my induction as a volunteer in health and saftey at all times when in the hangar and working on or around the airframe.
Thanks for your thoughts about me and the team though !

Another picture post will follow soon :wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

it looks great. thanks for updating

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 am 

Looking great! Keep up the good work and thanks for the update!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:43 pm 

The pix are still a bit damp in the digital darkroom ~ but as soon as they're ready I'll post an update for you :D

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:59 am 

The pace at which visible progress is being made this week is amazing !

Let's concentrate on paint stripping the fuselage ......

This section is wrapped and slow cooking

Around the other side .....

It's been treated ~ the plastic sheet has come off and work in underway to removing the last traces of paint

Ahh ! That looks better !

The team then move forward and begin masking the next section

And this bit gets sprayed with paint remover and wrapped in plastic ~ to continue the cycle !

Meanwhile .....

The trailing edge sections are now in the Conservation Hangar

One of the Horizontal Stabilizers is being de-skinned for corrosion treatment

And elsewhere ~ some of the smaller components are undergoing careful cleaning and conservation

More soon :wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It just keeps getting better and better-I'm like a kid with $100.00 bill and the run of TOYS-R-US

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:52 pm 

HaHaHa !!!

I have that feeling every time I walk into the hangar :D

I've think I've taken some nice shots today ~ the next post will be right here on Friday !

:wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

*DETAIL ALERT!*

*DETAIL ALERT!*

Modelers, note the detail photos of the cowl flaps... clearest shots I've ever seen of those. Thanks!

Lynn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next