Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:50 pm 

Well, our team has been busy this last week. Mike finished the rivets in front Nacelle ring, and I have spent the day installing all the other brackets and hardware. It is now installed on front of engine.

More work on back ring, including adding seal for cowl flaps. The front ring only support nacelles, but back ring is also the mount ring which supports the cowl flaps, so it more complicated.

We have also been working on making new liners for fuel bays to protect the tanks. A few more weeks and we should be ready to install right side fuel tanks, and panels. That will allow us to get ready for #2 engine install.

I still have lots to work on in both the wing nacelle and engine mount tub for the engine to be completely installed. Figuring out how all the plumbing and wiring go when you don't have a good example is fun. Install by IPB (part book for you none tech types) is not the best way, but it does give us a view of each system, but we have to work them all together in the tub and nacelle.

More photos soon.

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm 

I'm the restoration crew chief for our A-26 project at the New England Air Museum. In an earlier post I saw you were offering left-over parts from your restoration. I am attempting to restor to its configuration in WWII with the 416th BG. In that earlier post was mention gun turret rings. Do you still have them? Do you have the lower turret mounting ring? I was also looking for the pilot electrical distribution panel and other parts.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:06 pm 

Well the left MGL is now hanging in the nacelle. I still have to bolt on all the supports and trusses and uplock linkage to complete it. We still need our wheels to be back on our feet. Nose still needs some clean, painting and minor work before installing the NLG, but we are close enough to smell the plane with no jacks or stands underneath. :)

Work is progressing on build up of #2 engine, with planes to install in about a month. Working to install the fuel cells first, as the top panels to fuel cells are stress panels need for hanging engine.

Mojo, is working on avionics wiring, only a couple hundred more wires to sort, pin and install in cannon plugs to connect our new systems to avionics rack installed.

More later....Kurt :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:24 pm 

The July newsletter has been posted to the website...........It has actually been up for a few weeks, but work keeps getting in the way to do any posting. Kurt, Kathy, etc.....et al...... send me a few piccies and I will get them posted for ya! Alan
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

whistlingdeathcorsairs wrote:
Right at bradley new england air museum in windsor locks, ct they are restoring a WW2 combat veteran A-26. It had countless missions over germany and the thing sat outside in the new england weather up until maybe 2006-08. The worst part of this is that the president of the museum,( who some can't stand,) wants it put back outside to rot once again. It's bad enough he put the f4-phantom,( which had 2 kills in vietnam,) was sent outside with blue tarps on it. Such a shame

:Hangman: What a d i p s h i t ...."True Warbirds" unprotected to make room for what. The Documented history of this Invader would justify a roof over their skin, what a d i p s h i t :axe:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm 

According to Carl S., the project Crew Chief, when done the New England A-26 will be inside in new facility are the have recently built.

I agree with issue of weather being bad. These old aircraft were not built to last in weather outdoors. When built to WWII specs, lasting a long time was not a consideration, so prevent water sepage and corrosion from elements was not planned, and we are having to fix those issues now a days 60 plus years later.

We plan to have a home for ours, just don't know exactly where that will be yet, depends on who spend the funds for rent or purchase of hanger.

Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:21 pm 

More newsletters on the web...... Kurt and Kathy need to send me more piccies to post..... Keep up the good work everyone!
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... ectory.htm

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am 

Newest newsletter has been posted to the web page. Engine #2 has been received from Global Aircraft and the first engine is just about ready to hang on the A-26........ Just keep it coming...... 2011 just might see all THREE CAF A-26 Invaders in the air together..... I don't think that has ever happened before..... Ober, could you or some of our other tenured guys shed some light on that topic? On another note, the ex-"Spirit of Waco" should soon be ferried over to BKD for repair work. Details will be coming soon..... Alan
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Jet Mech wrote:
According to Carl S., the project Crew Chief, when done the New England A-26 will be inside in new facility are the have recently built.

I agree with issue of weather being bad. These old aircraft were not built to last in weather outdoors. When built to WWII specs, lasting a long time was not a consideration, so prevent water sepage and corrosion from elements was not planned, and we are having to fix those issues now a days 60 plus years later.

We plan to have a home for ours, just don't know exactly where that will be yet, depends on who spend the funds for rent or purchase of hanger.

Kurt

As far as i know,( and don't quote me,) the new building is just a storage hanger for aircraft to be worked on with a running inventory. Again, i don't believe this is open to the public. The whole point is that wonderful plane sat outside for so long and they are doing a great job restoring it to static display. There is plans for another building for the public but i don't know when that will be done. As a kid i used to just walk up to it and kick the tires, grab the wings etc as it sat in the field with a tarp over the canopy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

anybody know where i can get a free a-26 that nobody wants and needs to be taken away?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:35 am 

More newsletter updates on the former A-26 "Daisy Mae". Progress is continuing to be made...... http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf
If Kathy and Kurt will send me piccies.... I will post them..... alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 am 

*&^^%$^&&* Dratted double post!

Last edited by Alan Brooks on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

like to see more pics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm 

I have just received two batches of piccies..... will post tonight or tomorrow...... alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next