Switch to full style
This section is for discussion of all things military, past or present, that are related to active duty. Armor, Infantry, Navy stuff all welcome here. In service images and stories welcome here.
Post a reply

T-45 Goshawk having issues

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 am

Wow - hypoxia problems! Now if they had Hellcats and Corsairs they could just crack the canopy :D Seriously, I hope this gets sorted and fixed quickly!

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/04/09/navy-t45-fleet-indefinitely-grounded-after-pilot-strike.html

Tom P

Re: T-45 Goshawk having issues

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Wow! Hypoxia often affects amateurs trying to climb Mount Everest. It's good that instructors took a stand and refused to fly the planes. There was also an article there about the military struggling with a pilot shortage. Stupid US military. Disqualled me as a pilot because my eyesight was 20/30. I get that you need perfect eyes to fly a fighter, and probably a bomber, but what about a COD or C-130? I would've gratefully stayed 20 years for that instead of being a ground pounder.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:33 am

T-45 was derived fron the UK built BAE Hawk. Wonder how similar the system is between the two?

T-45 has recently undergone an aircraft systems safety risk analysis under a contract from the USN. Hopefully that can be used to resolve this quickly. The article doesn't get into specifics of what the problem is.

F-22 was having oxygen issues as well that grounded the fleet for a while.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 am

bdk wrote:T-45 was derived fron the UK built BAE Hawk. Wonder how similar the system is between the two?

T-45 has recently undergone an aircraft systems safety risk analysis under a contract from the USN. Hopefully that can be used to resolve this quickly. The article doesn't get into specifics of what the problem is.

F-22 was having oxygen issues as well that grounded the fleet for a while.

What was the fix on the F-22? I remember a few jokes that they would dump the scrubber system and just put LOX on the plane - I guess I could google it. . .

Tom P.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 pm

https://news.usni.org/2017/04/17/temporary-fix-identified-t-45c-trainer-students-still-cant-land-carriers-permanent-solution-found

getting there. . . .

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for the update! These have been operating for many years so it could be a system aging issue.
Post a reply