Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm 

New here.... Looking for information on my grandfathers B24... I have found lots of information but I am looking for as much as I can find... Everything I find on the web is very accurate compared to my memories of talking to him about his involvement. The names and accounts I have found as to what happened are pretty much spot on. I am looking for more information with regard to pictures of the plane and or a crash location site. All crew as per what is on the net and per what he told me is pretty darn accurate. Well except for the spelling of his name... Louis A. Sefranek is the proper spelling of his name. I have seen Lois, Lewis, Safranek Sefrenek and assorted other misspellings but that is not an issue... Anyway if there is any help anyone can provide in locating this information that would be great. I have searched and searched and my eyes quite simply are getting worn out and I am seeing the same things over and over again..

He was the Copilot on his 2nd mission. MACR and Serials below...
MACR Country Date Aircraft Type AAF S/N Group Sqdn Pilot
3404 FRA 440318 B-24H 41-29172 44BG 506BS Houghtby, Raymond C

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the WIX~You will find folks here who are very adept at digging things, photos, records, and info out, I'm constantly amazed!
I assume you've contacted the 44th B.G. historical website, you could also give Maxwell AFB records a whirl. Sit back and enjoy the ride here, you might also post this info hunt in the main hangar where you'd be certain it's seen by the most eyeballs-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Haven't found your grandfather's exact B-24 (yet!) but here are a few of his 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF mates.

Consolidated B-24D-15-CF Liberator (s/n 42-63962) from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. Originally named "Princ-ass", it was cleaned up to "Prince" by the time this photo was taken. It was later changed again, this time to "Princess"

Consolidated B-24's from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. Over Western Europe.

Consolidated B-24's from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. Over Western Europe.

Consolidated B-24D-25-CO Liberator (s/n 41-24235) named "Earthquake McGoon" from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF.

Consolidated B-24D-25-CO Liberator (s/n 41-24282) named "Ruth-less" from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. crashed on side of a hill in Eastbourne, UK. Feb 2, 1944, killing all 10 aboard. MACR 6385

Consolidated B-24D-35-CO Liberator (s/n 42-40172) from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. Lost on August 14,1944 mission to Lyon,France.

B-24D-25-CO Liberator (s/n 41-24283) named "Old Crow" from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. Scrapped in October 1943 after cracking the main spar.

B-24D-75-CO Liberator (s/n 42-40606) named "Timba-a-ah!" from the 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF. It was shot down by a Bf 109G-6 flown by Uffz. Fritz Willinger of JG3/12 on August 16,1943. 5 KIA, 5 POW.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:07 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Haven't found your grandfather's exact B-24 (yet!) but here are a few of his 506th BS, 44th BG, 8th AF mates.

Marc,

Thank you for this much!!! I now have something more to go on for me and my brothers. Something that still surprises me is that he told me his 24 was not named. It was only his 2nd mission and it was of course 50 years later.... So his memory could have been wrong... All the information I have found however states the Houghtby 24 was named Lucky Strike. Have found many images of the nose art for Lucky Strike but it all appears to be a later airframe....

Again thank you very much!!! I like the (Yet!) :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 pm 

Do you have a copy of the MACR? I have it if you need it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:05 pm 

Only the MACR information not a copy of the document. If willing to share.

lou underscore sefranek at yahoo dot com

thank you

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:32 pm 

Email on the way!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm 

I am very glad that I stumbled across this thread! My grandfather was also aboard the Lucky Strike and a POW at Luft 4 after it went down! I have gotten some info, but would love a crew shot like the ones posted if anyone has come across it! Unfortunately I never met him, he passed before I was born, but being a military member myself I have great respect and interest in the story of my grandfather and the other incredible men he served with! I was lucky enough to find a few pictures of him and stumble across his separation documents. I also have various things that he brought home and a uniform and such. I am trying to piece the story together! Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 am 

Tim,

I got your email. I tried to respond but it was denied delivery. The picture you sent was previous to my GF joining the crew. He was only on his 2nd mission when they went down. Very cool to find relatives also interesdted in keeping their sacrifice alive. I was lucky enough to know my GF for many years. I only realized too late to really get the storie out of him. It was very difficult for him to talk about it when I was younger and my parents didn't want me asking so I obliged. I now wish I had not.....

Any way if you come across anything more please do share. If you have another email adress I can forward the MACR.....feel free to shoot me an email anytime.