Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: F-35B
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE&feature=colike

Team Navy - Marine Corps looking good.

Post subject: Re: F-35B
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll keep my skeptical hat on for now-and continue to wonder just when one of them is going to 'Frisbee' that lift fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Inspector wrote:
I'll keep my skeptical hat on for now-and continue to wonder just when one of them is going to 'Frisbee' that lift fan.

I expect one to Frisbee a lift fan. Just as the guys who designed/built/flew the F-one oh whatever expected to lose a dozen of 'em working out the worst of the bugs. Leading edge systems, by definition, operate on thinner margins. We're better at it today (more pre-production te$t$, $imulation$, and hurdle$), but things still fail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 pm 

Do they have the same problem of overheating if left in a hover like the harrier?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JOHN MILLER wrote:
Do they have the same problem of overheating if left in a hover like the harrier?

Why would you want to leave one in a hover? Is there any pressing operational reason to do so, other than showing off before an airshow crowd?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 am 

I watched on military channel and they said when a hariier lands vertical, it must land quickly otherwise risk overheating because no airflow to cool it. Just asking.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:15 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

No overheat problems in hover mode. The lift system in the F-35 is considerably different that what the Harrier uses. All of the lift thrust for the Harrier is provided directly by the engine. The F-35 uses a coupled fan to provide about 50% of the lift thrust with the engine bleed air and exhaust providing the rest. Even in the hover mode close to the ground, the ingestiation of engine exhaust is minimal. That ingestation is part of what causes the Harrier to have have hover time limits.

As to doing a frisbe with the lift fan, it would be about the same chance as spinning off the compressor section of any hgh bypass turbofan.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cvairwerks wrote:
No overheat problems in hover mode. The lift system in the F-35 is considerably different that what the Harrier uses. All of the lift thrust for the Harrier is provided directly by the engine. The F-35 uses a coupled fan to provide about 50% of the lift thrust with the engine bleed air and exhaust providing the rest. Even in the hover mode close to the ground, the ingestiation of engine exhaust is minimal. That ingestation is part of what causes the Harrier to have have hover time limits.

As to doing a frisbe with the lift fan, it would be about the same chance as spinning off the compressor section of any hgh bypass turbofan.....

Ya mean like early versions of the R/R RB-211 on L-1011's?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 am 
Don't want to stir things up in the rather interesting discussion of the F-35B, but since this is an airplane that is still in test and has not even entered regular service yet, it doesn't seem to fit the definition of a "warbird" as we discuss in this forum:

"This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future"

Is there another place in WIX, or perhaps should consideration be given to adding a separate sub-forum for discussing newer aircraft that are not yet vintage warbirds that "survived" military service? Just some thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 am 

Seems like they require forward stick when doing a rolling take-off. Sort of counter intuitive.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:01 pm 

It looks like a dogs dinner compared to the Harrier/Pegasus combination. I wonder what happens when one of the many actuators that operate one of the many doors, flaps and scoops, fail?

Rgds Cking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cking wrote:
It looks like a dogs dinner compared to the Harrier/Pegasus combination. I wonder what happens when one of the many actuators that operate one of the many doors, flaps and scoops, fail?

Rgds Cking

Probably about the same thing that hapens when the Harrier has a problem with a puffer jet or one of the rotating nozzles. Vertical lift isn't for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cking wrote:

Rgds Cking

Actually, not much happens....Going from standard flight to hover mode and a failure...no hover mode. Going the other way....no STOVL launch. Either way the crew cheif is going to be a busy beaver for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

jwc50 wrote:
Don't want to stir things up in the rather interesting discussion of the F-35B, but since this is an airplane that is still in test and has not even entered regular service yet, it doesn't seem to fit the definition of a "warbird" as we discuss in this forum:

"This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future"

Is there another place in WIX, or perhaps should consideration be given to adding a separate sub-forum for discussing newer aircraft that are not yet vintage warbirds that "survived" military service? Just some thoughts.

Right here is exactly where it should be. To quote the subtitle of this subforum:
Military Matters wrote:
This section is for discussion of all things military, past or present, that are not aviation related. Armor, Infantry, Navy stuff all welcome here.

Well, actually, now that I notice, it states "not aviation related". Nevertheless, this still seems a good place for the thread. (And believe me, out of place threads are irritating! geek)

JOHN MILLER wrote:

No, it doesn't. To quote a book I own:
The Encyclopedia of Modern Military Aircraft wrote:
"Lockheed Martin designers calculated that the lift fan would blow a cushion of cold air under the hovering aircraft, preventing most hot exhaust gases...from reaching the air intakes. ...in hover tests intake temperatures rose just 5°F (3°C)."

What I would like to know is how long the F-35B can hover. IIRC, if the harrier took off and landed vertically it couldn't do it at any other time in that same flight due to high fuel consumption.

EDIT: Please note: I originally found this thread in the Military Matters section, and didn't realize it had been moved there from "the Hangar" until later, hence my confusion as to why I had thought the thread was in the correct place.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

Last edited by Noha307 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Noha: That info isn't available for two reasons.... Max hover time is probably not a priority test point, so it will most likely not be accomplished for some time... Secondly, that limitation would be in the -1 and that document is classified at this time.

Also, max hover time is going to be dependent on stores loaded, fuel on board, local conditions et al. so it will be variable.

The best place to find out stuff on the F-35 that is in the public domain, is to read the forum section on the F-35 over on F-16.net.