Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This time its the USS Requinn on display in Pittsburgh. www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib ... 8864.html# Hopefully the funds can be raised to make the necessary repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

They will pull together and get it fixed. It is one of the biggest attractions that tourists go to see in Pittsburgh. I've seen it myself and any one that ever gets the chance should no doubt visit it. :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

fix her.... she's scarce history. but......... no steelers flags hoisted up the pole mates!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:05 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

tom d. friedman wrote:
fix her.... she's scarce history. but......... no steelers flags hoisted up the pole mates!!

darn!!!! :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Baillie said another option is to make the repairs in place by installing an underwater sea wall and pumping out the river water. That way, visitors could watch the progress.

This seems to be fast becoming the popular way to do hull repairs on museum ships. Until recently I had never heard it proposed as an idea. The USS Yorktown museum already decided to do the same thing. (Read: USS Yorktown to be Repaired in Place at Patriots Point). It would seem to make sense to use a cofferdam on large ships such aircraft carriers, seeing as they are so big, but I'm surprised they would consider it for a ship as small as a WWII era sub. No matter what ship this technique is used on, however, it allows the museum to continue operating, and that seems to be the big attraction of it.

There are a large number of museum ships that are coming up due for dry docking as of late, the USS Olympia and Texas come to mind. Aside from those two, its the fact that most museum warships in the U.S. date from WWII and haven't been out of the water since their decommissioning. For a successful story of dry-docking check out the famous USS Laffey which had its hull replaced in 2009. NavSource has an excellent set of photos of the work: Destroyer Photo Index DD-724 USS LAFFEY

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307 wrote:
Quote:
Baillie said another option is to make the repairs in place by installing an underwater sea wall and pumping out the river water. That way, visitors could watch the progress.

This seems to be fast becoming the popular way to do hull repairs on museum ships. Until recently I had never heard it proposed as an idea. The USS Yorktown museum already decided to do the same thing. (Read: USS Yorktown to be Repaired in Place at Patriots Point). It would seem to make sense to use a cofferdam on large ships such aircraft carriers, seeing as they are so big, but I'm surprised they would consider it for a ship as small as a WWII era sub. No matter what ship this technique is used on, however, it allows the museum to continue operating, and that seems to be the big attraction of it.

There are a large number of museum ships that are coming up due for dry docking as of late, the USS Olympia and Texas come to mind. Aside from those two, its the fact that most museum warships in the U.S. date from WWII and haven't been out of the water since their decommissioning. For a successful story of dry-docking check out the famous USS Laffey which had its hull replaced in 2009. NavSource has an excellent set of photos of the work: Destroyer Photo Index DD-724 USS LAFFEY

That's why new building sites have had 'Sidewalk Supervisors' windows in the sidewalk barracade walls forever, John Q. is fascinated with 'whaddaredeydooinnow?' The biggest tourist attraction in Washington State is the Boeing Everett factory tour. geek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yank her out of the water completely and put her on pedestals. They did this with the USS Drum at Mobile, AL and she's in much better shape for it. A sub is an all-indoor experience anyway...

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can't speak for anyone on this issue, but I would find it ironic if anyone advocated for both airworthy warbirds and permanently drydocked ships, or for both static display of warbirds and in-water display of ships. (Although I myself might fall afoul of this distinction.)

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Noha307 wrote:
I can't speak for anyone on this issue, but I would find it ironic if anyone advocated for both airworthy warbirds and permanently drydocked ships, or for both static display of warbirds and in-water display of ships. (Although I myself might fall afoul of this distinction.)

The last time I personally went to watch the submarine races, I was a Junior in High School and can't recall my dates name (that was 47 years ago) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: