Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For our Great War aficionados:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 84813.html

I'm not sure the Polish Lancers of 1939 would be too happy to be overlooked, but the essential difference was the Light Horse prevailed.

Quote:
THE slouch hats of the Australian Light Horse regiments returned to Beersheba yesterday, 90 years to the day after the 1917 battle, as 50 mounted re-enactors formed up for a repeat of the famous charge.

Carrying Lee-Enfield and Mauser rifles supplied by the Israeli army, the Australian men and women first rode through the streets for wreath-laying ceremonies at the Commonwealth and Turkish war cemeteries.

Standing to attention in the Commonwealth graveyard, Ken Curnow, 75, of Wirlinga, NSW insisted that he wasn't hot, despite being clad from toe to chin in heavy First World War battledress.

"It's wool," he said, "and wool insulates you from both the heat and the cold. It breathes through the fabric, and it's also fire-resistant. It's a wonderful material. I should know. I used to be a wool producer."

The mounted parade was cheered through the streets by several hundred flag-waving locals, including many children from local schools.

Bar Shemesh, a fifth grade pupil at the nearby Bari school, said she had learned in history class how the mainly Australian mounted corps under General Harry Chauvel had "freed Beersheva from the Turks".

"It's a very beautiful sight," she said. "We are very honoured and very happy that the Australians are here in Beersheva."

The re-enactment of the charge was, of necessity, a scaled-down affair. The original 800 men of the 4th and 12th Light Horse Regiments galloped at full tilt across open ground for several kilometres, to close down the firing angles for the Turkish machine-guns and artillery.

Their latter-day admirers had to be content with an advance of a few hundred metres at walk and trotting pace, culminating in a brief dash to capture the Turkish railway bridge still standing on the edge of town.

"Even to get that was a major battle," confided one member of the Australian party. "The Israeli riding stable said there was no way they would let us do more than trot with their horses. But most of our people are first-rate horsemen, with experience as stockmen and so on. They made them do tests, four at a time, before they finally agreed to let them canter."

Representing Australia were the Ambassador to Israel, James Larsen, and Major General Mark Kelly, commander of Australian land forces.

"This is a very significant event in our military history," said General Kelly. "To have the chance to represent the Australian army at this 90th anniversary of what was really the last great cavalry charge in the modern era is a real honour. And I'm also here to visit the Australian personnel serving with the United Nations in this region, many of whom are here today."

The Israeli foreign ministry was represented yesterday by its Australian-born spokesman, Mark Regev, while the mayor of Beersheba, Yaakov Turner, welcomed the group to the city. The ambassador of New Zealand, Hamish Cooper, attended with his counterparts from Great Britain and Turkey.

In the green oasis of the Commonwealth war cemetery the Australian Light Horse Association's patron, retired Major General W.B. "Digger" James, read Binyon's Ode to the Fallen amongst the plain white gravestones - "Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn..."

Kelvin Crombie, a Jerusalem-based Australian whose Shoresh Tours did most of the detailed organisation with help from the Israeli World War One Heritage Society, said his dream was to have a full 800 re-enactors in the field for the centenary in 10 years' time.

"I've been doing these tours with Australians since 1988," he said. "We've done about 100 light horse tours, although this is much the biggest, and the first on horseback. Usually when I bring people here it's on a bus."

Remarkable photo gallery here... (new window)

http://www.theage.com.au/multimedia/ride/index.html

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/2 ... 27179.html

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:54 pm 
They shall grow not old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years Condemn
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them

Lest We Forget

I am impressed that they took the Red and Blue ensign along as well. A small detail mostly lost on most Australians.

www.ausflag.com.au/flags/aushist.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

WOW! I had no idea this was going on, would have been so neat to have been there to see this! I don't see any "Turks," but I'm sure nobody complained about that. Man, had I known about this well in advance, I might have tried to get in on that, as I spent a lot of time researching this campaign a few years ago. I can't believe that, orders to trot only, one of them didn't break into a full gallop. I mean the temptation must have been incredible!
As for Polish Lancers in 39, some historians doubt that happened in groups larger than a handful, if even then. Over the years, a good case has been made that perhaps, it was mostly propaganda to motivate the allied nations against the Germans at the time. Besides, there is a strong argument that history's last great cavalry charge really was in Afghanistan in 2001, led by Northern Alliance and CIA forces (who yes, did participate in very small numbers, at least one of them was mounted in the charge), against Taliban fighters.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)