Switch to full style
This section will be used as a repository for the picture rich posts that occasionally occur.
Post a reply

Re: Airtanker Memories

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:25 am

This really is great stuff. I've seen tankers here that I've never seen before. You really should write a magazein artiucle or something about your air tanker experiecnes!

Chappie

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:38 am

Unknown B-25 reloading, Ramona, Ca., Late 50's

Abe's Aerial Service, B-25J, Safford, Az. 1963

According to Scott Thompson's, everyone-needs-to-buy-a-copy-so-he'll-produce-an-updated-volume, "B-25 Mitchell in Civil Service," the top B-25 appears to be N7946C (44-28938) which is shown to be curently operational in Tulsa. The lower is 44-86893 which is the B-25 with Red Bull.

Amazing to think of how many of todays warbirds exist because of their utilitarian uses before the warbird movement!

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am

The AJ-1 Savage and P-61 pictures made me tingly all over.

While I'm not sure it's the 'most awesome thread ever', it's certainly climbing the list.....

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

How long was the Savage used as an air tanker :?: Must not have been too good :?:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am

There were only 3 AJ's used in the tanker capacity, however, only two were ever operational. J. M. Jackson Co, later known as A.J. Tankers, Inc., started in the early 60's. S/N 124158 flew as Tanker 88 and sometime during 1968 or 1969, the engines were pulled and the airframe was cut up for scrap.

S/N 124167, became Tanker 77, which was lost on 17 September 1967, while based at Burbank, California. It crashed on takeoff when an engine quit, taking the life of the pilot, Jack Henessey.

As far as I'm aware, the sole remaining AJ is in the Naval Museum in Florida, which was a test bed for Avco-Lycoming.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

look at all the radials and cans everywere in the aero union picture! corn cob in the backround! looks like a lot of heavy work going on at the time. awesome.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Lt51506 wrote:There were only 3 AJ's used in the tanker capacity, however, only two were ever operational. J. M. Jackson Co, later known as A.J. Tankers, Inc., started in the early 60's. S/N 124158 flew as Tanker 88 and sometime during 1968 or 1969, the engines were pulled and the airframe was cut up for scrap.

S/N 124167, became Tanker 77, which was lost on 17 September 1967, while based at Burbank, California. It crashed on takeoff when an engine quit, taking the life of the pilot, Jack Henessey.

As far as I'm aware, the sole remaining AJ is in the Naval Museum in Florida, which was a test bed for Avco-Lycoming.

Actually, I did some research through the aircraft log books when the AJ-2 was still at AVCO in Bridgeport. (back in 1978) The sole surviving AJ-2 was involved in a firebomber company out in California in the 1960's but I didn't see anywhere that it was modified for drops or not.
Alas, I no longer have my notes on the AJ from my visit. I was still in college and I think I lost them in a dorm move! :oops:
Jerry

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Stunning stuff Lt51506, thanks for caring to capture those days and share them with us here. Must've been an awsome experience.

One of these days, I hope someone gets curious enough to go see if there is anything left of the AF Northrop Reporter which went down in Greenland. Maybe ice recession will have some silver...err...alloy linings... :wink:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 pm

B-25 N7946C, is 'Old Glory', a B-25 I flew on a regular basis, giving rides on behalf of the Tulsa Air and Space Museum.

The airplane was sold by its owner in '03 and resides in the Stockton, CA area.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:32 pm

B25PBYGUY wrote:B-25 N7946C, is 'Old Glory', a B-25 I flew on a regular basis, giving rides on behalf of the Tulsa Air and Space Museum.

The airplane was sold by its owner in '03 and resides in the Stockton, CA area.

awwww mannnnnnn :( I was gonna say which B-25 that was, and ya snatched the tarmac right out from under me, I wasn't gonna say anything about flyin it though *Promise* cuz I only been in and rode in a -25 8) , but they didn't let me fly'er :(

Great Thread Tom, Just Awesome man :drinkers:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:04 pm

More, more, more pleeeasseee, !!!!!

simon

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:18 pm

RNDMTRS4EVR wrote:The C-119 photo of the them being marshalled out, that is my dad in the right seat! I can spot his old brain bucket any where! I was most likely at the airport that day as well. Would have been 10 back then. Keep the great photos coming!!! Can never get enough airtankers EVER! And the C-123 photo might be at the Chester tanker base, not positive though.

That's awesome Scott!! How did I know I'd run into you on this tread??? :wink:

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Fantastic photos!..., interesting looking at the photo of the RF-61C Reporter, Cal-Nat Airways, Grass Valley, Ca. Circa 1967. I googled RF-61C and came up with this link which showed another angle. They actually installed a T-33 canopy on it. A shame it didn't survive to be around today.
http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contribut ... s/7718.htm
Click to enlarge the photo for a different angle.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Great Stuff!
I love looking up the tail numbers to see where they are now, or if they are now.
Its pretty cool that the registrations on a few haventchanged in years.

One of the first B-17 pics is the Tallichet airplane, very cool.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Bill,
You know I can never get enough of the old tanker days! You going to come to the races this year?

Scott......
Post a reply