Switch to full style
This forum is for discussions pertaining to Air Racing and Aerobatics of NON-Warbird aircraft. In addition this is the place to discuss General Aviation aircraft topics and yes Michael, that includes flying Lawnmowers :)
Post a reply

Re: Reno tickets

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Funny, that's where I'm staying.

They have a shuttle. Runs every 15 minutes. Three days, $ 50 bucks... :wink:

Thanks,
Phil

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm

That's a good deal. Cheaper than my rental car, but I need flexibility while there....I am also at the GSR this year....

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:55 am

RandolphB wrote:
Folks seem to forget that Thom came out of the IF 1 class as his start to air racing (like many people do...!). Last year we had the World Cup Series and Thom/ Hot Stuff took first place for the series of races in Spain, Tunisia and Reno. While PM has been getting torn down this year, HS has gone through a normal off season rebuild.

Didn't forget - I just never knew that. Thanks for the background! I plan to be there Fri-Sun (with my WIX badge on :) )

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 am

Thom has raced 3 different IF1 aircraft and took the Championship in one of them. He has also raced very successfully in the Jet class. He ran an Iskra, of all things, and ran it very well and quite quickly. He is a superb pilot and deeply committed to Racing.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:34 pm

No Rare Bear this year..? :(

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:20 pm

No -- no Rod Lewis presence at all. Oil prices are down (he's an oil man) and he's just gone through a divorce and has to pay one of the largest settlements I've ever heard of. He's got a lot of toys to support and Racing is expensive. You gotta set priorities, I guess...

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:48 pm

No Corsairs either... :(

Could any be expected or hoped to race soon ?

Thanks,
Phil

Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 pm

The Bear's there and looking good (spotted on Facebook), but static only.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:50 pm

The only guy who has brought a Corsair in the last ten or more years has been bringing his Mustang instead the last few years. Corsairs have generally not been real successful or popular at Reno. They seem to be a lot harder to get decent speeds out of than Mustangs or Sea Furies. It's pretty easy to run a basically stock Mustang or Centaurus Sea Fury or Bearcat at 360-380mph, and seems a lot more difficult in a Corsair. 400mph plus on the Reno race course is quite doable with any 3350 Sea Fury and just takes some money in a Mustang, but seems impossible in an R-2800 Corsair.

A Mustang is a thoroughbred that wants to go fast. A Corsair is just a bit of a slug...

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 am

"A Corsair is just a bit of a slug..."

Hey, that's Conn. official state aircraft..... :P

Thanks,
Phil

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:10 am

LOL -- I just threw that in there to get people's goat. It's kinda like Nikon vs Canon for photographers like me. I can always get somebody's dander up when I tell a Canon guy how good his pictures could be if he just got a "real camera".

I'm a Mustang guy. At least Mustangs have a back seat you can see out of. Plus they sound better. They certainly are prettier. I have more friends who fly Mustangs than Corsairs. Other than that, I guess, Corsairs are OK.

I guess...

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 am

I work at Pratt so...... :f4u:

But I own a Nikon .... :wink:

Phil
Last edited by phil65 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 am

Good man...

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:20 pm

As someone who wasn't even 10yo when Super Corsair #1/Bud Light met her demise, did she ever have a big fanbase/following, Neal?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Yes it did. It was big, loud, smoky and went fast. It was the eternal underdog -- big and chunky next to the sleek Dreadnought, Strega and Dago Red, but on a good day could run with any of them, and outlast the Mustangs.

The fans loved it, and so did I...

Post a reply