Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Copper thieves circumvented motion cameras, razor wire and motion detection devices and cut through two locked posted gates on airport property to steal over 1000 ft of copper wire on one of the North Approach path to SEATAC airports new runway. Since this involves public safety and interstate commerce the FBI and TSA have joined with the FAA in investigating this theft which could possibly fall under terrorism charges for those convicted when caught.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

there is also great concern regarding the 50 million dollar diamond heist in antwerp belgium as of a few days ago. the thieves also circumvented all airport security in the same manner as the copper theft. international authorities feel it was done so fast & successfully that insiders were most certainly part of the heist. authorities are also alarmed that terrorists could be a threat in the same scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

tom d. friedman wrote:
there is also great concern regarding the 50 million dollar diamond heist in antwerp belgium as of a few days ago. the thieves also circumvented all airport security in the same manner as the copper theft. international authorities feel it was done so fast & successfully that insiders were most certainly part of the heist. authorities are also alarmed that terrorists could be a threat in the same scenario.

You tube -George Carlin airport security-typically George as far a 'direct' language, but right on the point

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was confused by the title - I thought the FBI, FAA and TSA worked together to pull off the theft. :shock:

I guess that sequestration is going to hit them hard. :lol:

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:34 am 

Was the wire attached to anything or just sitting in a pile on the ground?

Terrorism charges. GMAFB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WallyB wrote:

Yes it was, they foolishly were using the wire to power one of the ILS towers lights and strobes. The ILS isn't used much this time of year but still-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am 

The Inspector wrote:
WallyB wrote:

Yes it was, they foolishly were using the wire to power one of the ILS towers lights and strobes. The ILS isn't used much this time of year but still-
Hmmm, wonder how long it takes to roll up 1000ft of wire?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WallyB wrote:
The Inspector wrote:
WallyB wrote:

Hmmm, wonder how long it takes to roll up 1000ft of wire?

Apparently not long as wire has been stolen from power vaults alongside I-5 (and others around the country) during normal traffic periods, just get enough loose to wrap around the bumper hitch on a pickup and drive off, heck a group of 'someones' stole the aluminum bleacher seats from a stadium not long ago :shock: now that takes some 'appendages' as David Hobbs would say.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 pm 

I'm wondering about the inside angle too. Somebody had to know about the cameras and
security systems...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A TV news update just now says the wire theft is more like 7200 feet of wire stolen from 34L, FBI and Port of Seattle Police say they are looking at a 'person of interest'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 pm 

For ten years I lived in Coos Bay Oregon- Land of the Tweekers. Any bit of metal, copper etc,
was gone in a heartbeat and sold with no questions asked...
My real estate office had this development that had several sold, new homes under construction.
The Methheads would come in and strip EVERYTHING that was metal faucets, wiring,etc.
It was like somebody had plans of each home or something.. Hmmm. Then the owner/contractor
started looking at WHO had the plans. As some of this stripping of wire was not easy unless
you knew exactly where things ran and connected.
It was a Realtor who originally had the Listing. He was paid by the druggies to give the plans
and one of the contractors men was also in on it...
The Realtor at the trial had the Cajoles to ask if he could get his license back when he got out of the
Pen....
The Sea-Tac Klowns ought to be tried for Domestic Terrorism...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 am 

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Can't tell you how many times I've been called by our local FAA guys to come out and bring the cops to NAVAIDS where the locals have 'liberated' some copper wire...or at least what they think is copper. ILS antennas, middle and inner markers are popular targets because they're usually isolated and in the middle of BFE.

On the other hand (Inspector you'll love this since you were down there) when I was ops at MSY we had a real problem with feral hogs coming in and rooting up the approach lighting cable for our CAT II/III system. We...uh...took care of it. With a pig roast afterward.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Punisher05 wrote:
Doesn't surprise me a bit. Can't tell you how many times I've been called by our local FAA guys to come out and bring the cops to NAVAIDS where the locals have 'liberated' some copper wire...or at least what they think is copper. ILS antennas, middle and inner markers are popular targets because they're usually isolated and in the middle of BFE.

On the other hand (Inspector you'll love this since you were down there) when I was ops at MSY we had a real problem with feral hogs coming in and rooting up the approach lighting cable for our CAT II/III system. We...uh...took care of it. With a pig roast afterward.

YUP! And I've seen what a 1500 lb feral hog does to the front of the cab when a semi driver hits one in the road