Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yesterday I attended the Barnstorming Carnival at Springfield-Beckley Airport in Springfield, OH. This year was the third annual event and the first time I have been able to attend. Normally, many of these aircraft continue on to Hagerstown, IN for the Hagerstown Flying Circus, which is tomorrow. I was unable to get a day off work to attend Hagerstown this year so I figured a trip to Springfield was in order. I'm sure some of these aircraft will then continue on to Oshkosh.

Highlights included two New Standard D-25s, two Cabin Wacos, a Stinson Detroiter, Fairchild 22, Bucker Jungmann and Travel Air 4000. Both of the New Standards were regularly taking up passengers all day. I was told the aircraft turnout was better on Saturday, but it was still a nice way to spend a Sunday.

ImageIMG_0427 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0430 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0441 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0462 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0463 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0472 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0486 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0491 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0492 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0496 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0508 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0526 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0532 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0534 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0542 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

Full set here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124970884 ... 106771990/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Grand and Classic!

Nice to see a Fairchild there!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was flying one of the New Standards, we gave about 300 people biplane rides over the two days, very busy.
Here's a shot of the three barnstorming biplanes (the Travel Air was the reserve 'plane) over the famous Young's Dairy, just west of Springfield Airport.
Photo by Nigel Hitchman.

The Travel Air and red New Standard belong to Dewey Davenport's Good Folk and O'Tymes Biplane rides (Dayton area based), http://www.gobiplanerides.com/

and the green New Standard belongs to Ted Davis' Biplane Rides of America (from Wisconsin), http://biplaneridesofamerica.com/

-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That formation must have been a lovely experience...

What's the NS D-25 like to fly?

How many adults do you actually put up front?

What's it like on pavement? And in a crosswind?

Does it actually climb at MTOW with the 220 Continental, or the 235 Wright?

How does it compare for control on landing with a UPF-7?

Give us a PR!

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The more I fly the New Standard the more I like it. I flew Ted's once a few years ago, so don't remember too many details of that, but ferried Dewey's from New Hampshire to Ohio a few weeks ago, and then spent most of the Saturday and Sunday of the Barnstorming Carnival hopping rides in it. It flies like a 1930 airplane, in that the controls aren't necessarily that well harmonized, and certain things about the cockpit are "antiquey", particularly the rudder and brake pedals. There are four pedals, underhung, inverted L shaped, and the two inners are brake pedals while the outers are the rudder pedals. If you twist your feet the right way you can actually use both rudder and brake at the same time, but it certainly isn't as convenient as Stearman style toe brakes.

As far as flying qualities it's pretty stable, and the controls are not as heavy as you might anticipate. The ailerons on Dewey's are quite light in fact, but Ted flew it and said that his are noticeably heavier, and we haven't yet figured out why that would be different. Other pilots who have flown more than one of the surviving New Standards say that individual ones can fly quite differently, so the rigging may be a factor in that, or? When I give rides in a Waco or Travel Air I always try to fly the whole ride without moving the stick more than 4 inches (except for landing flare), but in the New Standard this isn't possible, it takes fairly large movements of the stick to do what you want to do.

It has a locking/full swivel tailwheel, and is quite docile on the ground. I usually do wheel landings on pavement in the Travel Air, but the New Standard three points almost like an overgrown Champ, even on pavement, sets down easy and rolls good and straight. I haven't flown it in much of a crosswind yet, but I know the other guys do (there are 8 currently flying). Visibility from the cockpit is better than you would think, you sit fairly high, and the view is at least as good as it is in the Travel Air.

If you had a 1930 sized pilot and four 1930 sized passengers I think it would be no problem taking them up with full fuel, but nowadays with 2016 sized people we don't fill it up if we're doing passenger rides, and if they're big enough we only take three.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Over upstate NY on the way from New Hampshire to Ohio

-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the Pirep. Good to know!

Sounds like a very well-designed machine for its task. And it's nice to hear that it isn't squirelly on pavement.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:31 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for posting the pilot report! Interesting to read.

I didn't know the New Standard belonged to Dewey. I took a ride in his Travel Air at Grimes Field earlier this summer and it was a great experience!