Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I sent Gary an email. Maybe he hasn't totally dropped out of aviation yet.
That photo of the yello one is close to what I have in mind. My preference would be to get one we could fly or at least ferry home. Most of the parts would be there.
Sure would like to find one by Spring.
Oh, another thing, I give N3NJeff 100% credit for getting me interested in all things N3N!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:45 am 

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Inland-C ... 1316621/L/

1979 photo of duster Stearman in Shafter/Minter, CA

http://www.airliners.net/photo/General- ... 0457545/L/

1969, Ontario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
I sent Gary an email. Maybe he hasn't totally dropped out of aviation yet.
That photo of the yello one is close to what I have in mind. My preference would be to get one we could fly or at least ferry home. Most of the parts would be there.
Sure would like to find one by Spring.
Oh, another thing, I give N3NJeff 100% credit for getting me interested in all things N3N!

AHH, my work is done!!!! Another to the dark side!!!!! If you consider it, ask gary if he will take some detail'd pics. It is a metalized airplane so to go back to a fabric N would be $$$$. One thing I did notice!!!! She must have a big fuel tank!!! To be certificated with the 450, you had to have 75 gallons. That top wing is UNMODIFIED!!!!!!, I am sure that you could find someone to trade you for a already converted wing. But if you want to work her, she is a good one I am sure, then maybe take the hopper out and throw in a seat but there probably would not be much leg room. That being said, that may not be possible to do being that she may need to stay in restricted category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I will try Gary again tomorrow. I like that it has the original top wing. Only bad thing about the N3N is I don't know if it's as easy to find parts as the Stearman. Heck the Stearman, like the Cub has most every part being manufactured.
I thought about the conversion where it is a duster part of the year and then maybe converted into a two place the other part of the year but I believe that would require a lot of paperwork going from Restricted to Standard category and back.
I would probably just keep it in duster configuration and do my farm and a few others to pay for itself. The rest of the year, fly it for fun and spend time scrounging for parts to convert it back to original .It probably isn't too easy to find those lower wings, skinny wheels and I bet cockpit parts are scarce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
I will try Gary again tomorrow. I like that it has the original top wing. Only bad thing about the N3N is I don't know if it's as easy to find parts as the Stearman. Heck the Stearman, like the Cub has most every part being manufactured.
I thought about the conversion where it is a duster part of the year and then maybe converted into a two place the other part of the year but I believe that would require a lot of paperwork going from Restricted to Standard category and back.
I would probably just keep it in duster configuration and do my farm and a few others to pay for itself. The rest of the year, fly it for fun and spend time scrounging for parts to convert it back to original .It probably isn't too easy to find those lower wings, skinny wheels and I bet cockpit parts are scarce.

Stick with me and you will be ok!!! Parts are out there you just need to know where to look. Much like the B-17 operators who get together and talk about how to keep the B-17 flying. Us N3N owners have done the same!!! We have the N3N Owners and Restorers Assn and there is a group of us on my Yahoo group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

YOU have definitely sold me on the type. It's a neat old bird and there are still several projects out there. My guess is that there are going to be even more parts coming out of the wordwork as a few more people pass away that have been hoarding old airplane projects and parts the last 40 years.
Has anyone ever put an N3N with the 450 conversion back onto the original float and sponsons? That would be cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Thanks Vessbot, I guess your the only one on this page that noticed this post was supposed to be about Stearmans.........

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:05 am 

Not to worry, http://www.airliners.net/photo/Naval-Aircraft-Factory/1318822/L/ :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am 
Aerial Pirate

okay, I surrender............

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great pics Vessbot!! When I was a kid my dad bought a 220hp. Stearman and we flew it out of BNA using light signals from the tower as it didn't have a radio. One summer probably 1971, everyone emptied the FBO where my dad did some part time instructing to see a biplane takeoff which as it turned out to be was a white with black trim N3N.
A rare sight. I was told to look at the gear to identify it but to this day, it seems the strut on the tail instead of the flying wire bracing is what first distinguishes it.
One year around 1974, we went to a FLy-in at Tullahoma , Tenn. at what is now the Beech Staggerwing museum. The local A&P had just finished rebuilding a 450 Stearman from the ground up and even the hopper was brand new. One afternoon at the show he filled it with water and sprayed the crowd. We thought it was funny but a few people got miffed!
I couldn't understand why anyone would use a Stearman as a cropduster instead of putting a second seat in it. (What do kids know about money)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:19 am 

Just to avoid any potential accusations in this here debate (please forgive me Roger) how 'bout a New Standard cropduster?

http://www.aerofiles.com/newstd-d25duster.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:30 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

marine air wrote:
YOU have definitely sold me on the type. It's a neat old bird and there are still several projects out there. My guess is that there are going to be even more parts coming out of the wordwork as a few more people pass away that have been hoarding old airplane projects and parts the last 40 years.
Has anyone ever put an N3N with the 450 conversion back onto the original float and sponsons? That would be cool!

Yes on floats but only with the Wright engine. You would need to re-certify the airplane for floats with the 450. Not that it cant be done but who would spend the $$$$ to do that when its such a sweet bird stock :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was at Pima about 15 years ago and remember the N3N. As I remember the plaque describing them had more to say about fire fighting with them than crop dusting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm 

I've been chuckling at the back and forth of Stearman vs. N3N. You're holding your own Jeff!

Here's one of each - looks good to me either way!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Why don't you just get one of these and you all will think either bipe was sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

NOW you're talkin', Mark!!! :D

What a beauty!

Gary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next