Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 58  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 pm 

Your right...the linkage does look simple. I assume that the mechanism only retards one mag and that is the one you switch to when starting? The RNF I had for sale had the lever mounted horizontally like a car stick shift. Pull back to retard and push forward to advance. It was all brass and very snazzy-looking. Original equipment.

As far as the tires, just curious why you didn't take it down to a tire shop? That is what we do here. Saves the knuckles, sweating, cussing and throwing of stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The linkage goes to both mags. The cable goes to an arm mounted on one of the engine bearers, which is linked up to move both mags at once.

As for the tires, we live in a rural area, and Stan the mechanic didn't trust the local tire guys to be careful with the aluminum rims. (They're used to tractors and heavy trucks.) The brake drums are attached, the bearings are in place -- if he'd known and trusted somebody at the local tire shop, that would'v been fine, but it wasn't the case.

Hey, the cylinders are back on! Harman Dickerson came through with gaskets and O rings, and Stan worked over the weekend. I had to be away, so there are no pictures, but now there are only clean-up items, such as replacing all hoses and clamps.

Flying next weekend, if we don't get snow!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 pm 

Good luck on the test flight..I wish you and the Warner great success!!! I will be test flying a newly restored Citabria and Waco KNF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well we kept at it. The working space was very tight. See Stan's hands? Just? And my own knuckles now bear witness to the wear and tear of replacing all the hoses and clamps.

There's a lot to be said for the modern system, as on a Pezetel (sp), which I understand pivots, swinging out the engine so that the back of it can be easily got-at. Mind you if you go down that path you end up with a turbine!

However Stan got a fine new tool, which, once unveiled, he used about every 20 minutes. Lovely thing! Eyeballs on a stick!

Next came reassembly, tightening all the things that were stripped and sundered over the years (we emptied Stan's trays of AN hardware), and then a power-wash with varsol (actually not varsol -- some modern green equivalent).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sunlight again! It's been weeks!

First we try to get it started... big drum roll... nervous tension on every face... what did we forget... which hose went to the wrong fitting...

And it fired right off! Two blades of the prop and it brrruuummm as soon as the mag switch went to both!

Next the cowls go on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

And, magically, it levitated!

I believe we haven't got the mags and points perfectly timed yet. It ran more smoothly with the spark retarded a bit -- and man is that smooth! A Warner at 550 rpm, with everything just right, purrs! Nicer than the Wright J6, nicer than the small Pratts.

But Jeez it felt good!

Sign a big cheque and take it away tomorrow, I hope.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 pm 

Dave Hadfield wrote:
There's a lot to be said for the modern system, as on a Pezetel (sp), which I understand pivots, swinging out the engine so that the back of it can be easily got-at. Mind you if you go down that path you end up with a turbine!

Well...that idea has been around for round motored planes for quite some time......

Cessna 190/195's come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Oh that's right, of course. Stan mentioned a Jake on a 195 specifically. I tended to respond with more stress-relieving phrases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Very nice Dave. Good to see it back in the air.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great stuff - fascinating to follow; thanks for sharing.

Wheels up wrote:
Dave Hadfield wrote:

Well...that idea has been around for round motored planes for quite some time......
Cessna 190/195's come to mind.

What's that modern Cessna you mention? Try the Vickers Jockey & Venom of the 1930s. ;)

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/vickers_venom.php

"...The Venom retained the sideways-hinging engine feature of the Type 151..."

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 am 

So Dave when do we see it here at Gatineau?
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:21 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well Steve, I think I've used up this spectacular summer-like weather. The airplane has no cabin heat, and winter's about to descend. I'd like to put 10 hours on it before I wander too far away -- see what falls off! So, it may not happen until spring.

I flew it a couple of hours yesterday, and I will today as well. Still some tweaking required, I think.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey, anybody know what the carb air temp should be in a Warner Super Scarab? Cruise, 1900 rpm, OAT 15 C.

I've flown the Fairchild about 4 hours now, and it's running well, but I think I should be getting about 100 more static RPM. In cruise, the carb air gauge is showing 35-40 C. I'm wondering if that's a bit high, indicating that the carb heat is partially on all the time?

If that was the case the mixture would be quite rich. So, in cruise at 2500' I leaned the mixture. Yes, there is a definite increase in RPM before it starts to drop, but no more than I would expect.

Ideas?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dave, it's great the hear good news on the 24. If you're not into ski gear operations, you could always open the hangar door and make vroom-vrooms there. Keep it loose for the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:20 pm 

Dave, here's a few snaps of the engine installation on our Waco RNF. Definately easier to work on!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 58  Next