Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It is slowly being completely reskinned. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:15 pm 

Just discovered this site today and have been reading it from page 1. Very interesting and you and the whole team appear to be fully comitted to making it the finest DC-3 resttoration around and hopefully, a flying example too.

It seems that everyone considers that all right-hand entry doors were ex-American airplanes. Not so. I flew the DC-3 for about 8 years and 5000+ hours at Central Airlines before the merger with Frontier Airlines. We had at least 6 ex-United aircraft on the line including one (939) that was the DC-3 used in the movie "Strategic Air Command" in the late 50's.

The picture of the American Co-pilot putting up (or maybe taking down) the flag reminded me of an old tale told at American. (I flew there for for 6 mo. before Central) Supposedly, after losing both engines shorly after take off the Co-pilot asked what he could do. The Captains reply was "Get ready to put up the flag, you dummy. We're about to land". Woe be to the Co-pilot who forgot to put up the flag after landing and especially so if he forgot to take it down before Take-off since it would be badly tattered in the airstream when they got to the next stop. Fortunately, new pressurized aircraft stopped the flying of the flag.

Keep up the good work and if I'm in TUL, I'll look up the project.

Jack Frost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi Jack,

The team has been working quite hard on the project. Right now, it is slated to be a static exhibit. That is primarily a function of finances at the moment. There is nothing to say that it can't fly or won't fly, but at the moment there aren't the funds available to say with confidence right now that it is headed towards flight in a reasonable amount of time. That being said, the folks in KC have been working on their TWA DC-3 for more than a decade, and it is still creeping towards flight.

I have heard the same story about the flag. Doesn't mean that it's true, but it sure has made the rounds! I also heard from an ex-AA pilot that said that if they forgot to take the flag in before takeoff and it flew away during flight, that AA would deduct the cost of a new one from their paycheck. He said that he was quite particular about making sure that he pulled it in right before takeoff!

As a side note, I did eventually track down one of those original flagship flags, from a 1930's AA stewardess, and have it hanging on my wall. They are really tough to come by.

kevin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 am 

How about an update on the project? I realize that things are probably moving at a slow pace (no $$, right?), but I am equally sure there must be forward progress, right? How about a few pictures! Yeah, we like pictures!

C2j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it's being re-skinned, you out to sell some of the original (i.e. not likely to have been replaced in service) pieces on a plaque or art print showing the aircraft.
I'd buy one.

I'm sure some up and coming aviation artist would let you use his design.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hello all,
I will try to get you some updated photos shortly. The folks that have worked on the Flagship Tulsa also have been recently tied up doing heavy maintenance on the Flagship Detroit, so that has kept them quite busy.
kevin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 am 

Well, it's been over a year since the last post. How about an update with some pictures?

C2j

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:47 pm 

Does anybody know what has happened to Tulsaboy? He hasn't posted on this thread in over a year and didn't respond to a PM asking for an update on Flagship Tulsa. I hope he is just busy!

Does anybody else have an update on Flagship Tulsa?

C2j

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:25 am 

Facebook 'Flagship Tulsa' seems dead as a dodo...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:41 am 

A 2015 comment on here mentions possibly terminal corrosion....

http://www.sunshineskies.com/pbadc3now.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7