Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris came up and joined us for lunch the next day. He has the use of a Cirrus. This one has every bell-and-whistle you can have on a light single; superbly appointed aircraft.

I asked him if he'd like a "tasking" -- I'd had a musician come up from Toronto, Laura C. Bates, to add violin to the album I'm recording (it's about aviation -- a "flying" album)...

... and she was due to return there by bus. Chris' aircraft is based at Toronto Island. So I asked him if he'd fly Laura back, and he said, "Sure!"

So off she went, with a rather unique bus ride and a unique driver.

On another front, Robin has scored an airplane for a dollar. That's right, one Canadian dollar! It's a perfectly serviceable Fleet Canuck. (Only Robin could make things like that happen!) It has been donated to a group she is forming; a sub-group of the 99's, for the purpose of learning tailwheel techniques.

Later it will be based at Burlington Airpark, and the initial Instructor will be Luis S, so I checked him out in it. This was old-home-week -- I'd given him his initial tailwheel training in about 2004 in this very aircraft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris was at the farm the other day and went through some old albums. This photo is of me and a couple of friends. (I'm the one in the glasses. Unfortunately.) The J-3 Cub is one Dad used to rent and take us up at Burlington Air Park. It was $10/hr dry as I recall. And I do recall because I had to save my pennies to find that much -- I had to pay my share.

I had my first real flying lessons in that particular Cub, positioning the aircraft so that my Dad in the back seat could lean out and take photos of people's farms and such.

Photo taken about 1968...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I know I have said it before but just wanted to reiterate how much I enjoy this thread and look forward to each update. Thanks for sharing with us Dave, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks, CV! All good fun!

The other day I got re-familiarized with the new DHC-2 Beaver that Mike Potter bought. Pictures to follow...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yeah, I love this thread too, you bet! Good to see what Chris is up to now that he's out of the limelight. He sure did a great job while he was in it.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks, Pogo. Chris is till inspiring millions -- measured by attendance -- as he gives Talks all around the world. The demand for him as a Speaker has not eased-off since his return. He has a unique way of connecting with people, as if he's addressing his 16 year-old starry-eyed self. It really makes an impact. Plus, he mixes music with the presentation, and the truth is that Art connects with people much more solidly than Science. It captures.

Years ago Mike Potter had a lovely DHC-2 Beaver which he regretted selling, so he bought this one in Dec.

It came on amphibs, but Mike wanted to enjoy it on wheels during the winter. A very clean stock panel on it.

Then he made a rash remark, offering me a checkout in it. My response took about a quarter-second to emerge, and in no time it was pulled outside.

She started perfectly, with that lovely Pratt spool-up. Irving Oil had maintained it very well. The taxiways were icy, as you'd expect in an Ottawa winter, which on narrow pavement meant you had to steer to the bare patches to execute enough braking to make a turn. ("There's a spot!") And of course same for a run-up.

Off we went...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A Beaver flies in a solid, safe fashion, getting the job done with a minimum of fuss. I was not exactly current -- I flew one for about 20 hours in 1977 -- but DHC designed an aircraft with very few "gotchas", and I didn't embarrass myself. We did a bit of airwork first. I had VWoC pilot Joe C in the back seat. He is not easily terrified.

We did 3 circuits. I had forgotten how much rotation it takes to make a 3-point, and it wasn't until the last one that I actually touched down on all points. But the gear is not spring-steel like a Cessna, and a mistake does not hurl you back in the air again. A DHC-2 tries its best to look after you.

Afterwards, I filled out the logbook. It is a lovely thing -- exactly what a vintage round-engined aircraft logbook should look like, leather bound and scuffed with decades of adventurous flights to wild places. I was pleased to add my name to it.

I believe Mr. Baikie was the prime pilot for the aircraft for Irving, for many years, and they only sold it when he retired -- a nice touch. Here's a photo of it off the net.

And here is a history of the aircraft, although I can't vouch for it. It's ex-US Army. http://www.dhc-2.com/cn336.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

On page 47 I posted a photo of my Dad with CF-LAL, a Piper Apache.

He recently sent me a photo of what it looked like in 1959, when it was factory-new, and he'd just achieved his Multi-Engine Rating, and was doing his first flights for Sarnia Airlines.

Sarnia Airlines became Great Lakes Air Services which eventually became Air Ontario, and then Jazz (that's the short version, anyway).

I like the paint job on that 1958 Apache. Not the vacuous boring white that you so often see on new aircraft today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Here's a photo of that Dove, shortly after, in 1960, after it had been sold in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:24 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Typical workday view...

And the new hangar at the strip near the cottage is ready for service. This building is a practical size -- it'll hold 3 C-172 sized aircraft -- and has no concrete or door or electricity. It's just a shed. But you know, if you build it that way, the cost is quite reasonable.

We've built it because of the horrendous thunderstorms that role past Sarnia -- and we don't want hail on the Stampe, the 170, or the Fairchild...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I had a visitor to the Fairchild, Bob B. He owns 2 C-170s -- he must be living right! This one...

... and in the summer he operates this one, which has a 200 hp O-360 in it.

Gus Corujo

Anyway, Bob is building a Great Lakes with a Warner 165, and wanted to see how that engine was installed in the Fairchild. We had a most pleasant chat.

Lovely, practical airplane.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I had a red-letter day at the Airline -- my last "jeopardy-day" before I retire this August. My last Simulator Ride. And I passed! Phew!

No more medicals, check-rides, training sessions, passports, security clearances or Sims. That's it! From now on it's just line-flying until I vanish! And Rob F, the Check Pilot, was also happy that I passed! Less paperwork for him!

It's been 39 years... which means hundreds of Sims and Rides and Courses. I started on the DC-9 there, then the 727, A-320/321/319, L-1011, B-767, A-330, A-340, and the B-777. About 23,000 hours worth. And I never had to re-do a Ride or a Medical (and I never had a violation -- just chicken, I guess...).

The fellow on the right, Will, is part of the Canadian contingent to Vimy for the 100th Anniversary of that pivotal Canadian battle. He will be flying one of these over Vimy Ridge.

The whole formation was stacked carefully in a C-17 and ferried over to France.

Cudos to the RCAF for allowing this to happen! Well done!

Last edited by Dave Hadfield on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I continue to Instruct at the Airline, often switching seats to allow a new captain some experience.

It's good for me too -- sharpens me up, makes me study more, and I learn from the guys fresh from the training world.

And the Fleet Canuck adventure is ramping up -- I taught this group a "Taildragger 101" Groundschool recently. They will be owning the airplane in common as a charity/flying organization.

And I started the first sessions on it. First Robin, whose RV6 feet are actually pretty active...

... then Nataly, who used to own a Pitts S2A, and thus also has quick-moving feet! (The green glow is from the aircraft skylight.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Most excellent stuff!

Here's to the whole bunch of you! :drink3:

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dave......how can I say thank you?????

All the stuff you shared in the past years made me smile every time I visited the site.

I wish you a long, healthy and fun retirement!!!!!

No risk of you becoming bored I am pretty sure of that :drink3:

Ever tinkered of writing up your memoirs!!!!! Your postings are always entertaining.

Liked the pics of your dad and younger version of you with the cub....

But this one made me smile!!!!

What an odd cargo and time warped setting.

Just keep enjoying the ride and fly safe sir.

Sincerely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next