Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:53 pm 

OK I ran out of Testors Model Scale Masters spray while doing a Naval Fighter. What is an acceptable or close to color Krylon Spray paint ?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:26 am 

I've been using spray paint from my local hardware stores for a couple years now with much success... I use krylon, rust oleum and ace hardware brand depending on who makes the color I need... Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Other than basic primary colors, none of them are a good match for military colors, so just pick the one that looks closest from the cap. I mostly use those paints for car models.

Mist them on in light coats. Some of the chemistry is hot enough to deform the plastic if you spray it on too wet.

August

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you go to any of the model forums, there has been a lot of discussion on this.
A lot of guys swear by Krylon and other general purpose spray paints. I bought a large can if stuff to do the underside of a B-25. You get thr e times The paint for half the price.

The trouble is, they are not mixed to milspec colors, let alone the esoteric foreign military hues...
So, probably not the stuff to use If you are trying to be 100% accurate or correct.

If you go to a good hobby shop, or even a franchise chain like Hobby Town, they sell many other paints in correct mixes (for various countries ships, armour, and aircraft.
A lot of stuff is now acrylics in both spray and brush.
I have used Tamiya with good results.

I don't think the IPMS contest crowd isn't too upset with Model Master going away since they all use airbrushes, so they just need bottle paints which are made by several firms, US and international.
And think outside the box, don't forget the paints aimed at the model train crowd.