Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My father decided to pull out the old Crown / Minecraft 1/144th scale P-38J model kit and backdate it to the much sleeker looking E/F model. Still haven't decided on what markings to apply. What do you guys think?

"I hate having to reshape 2 engine cowlings and 4 radiators."

I forgot what a train wreck the Crown P-38 was. Nothing lines up. A bunch of putty and sanding!" -Dennis

"So after looking over the clear bolb canopy that came with the kit I thought I would try something else. Then after several attempts to home version vacuform a canopy using a Bandai canopy for a mold, I thought I had one I could work with. NOPE, just too brittle and by forming over the Bandai canopy it just made it too large. So I'll try something else. I thought of using the Bandai canopy and after looking it over for a while I just couldn't bring myself to rework and take a major part from a $50 model. So these pic's show the latest attempt of me trying something else. Might work, have to see what it looks like when I'm done. So we'll give the super glue a few days to really cure then we will try to sand it all to a finished shape hoping it doesn't fall off. I'm hoping the Krystal Klear with work with us." -Dennis

"So the super glue was cured and I sanded the framework to what seemed close to what I wanted, but something still didn't seem right. Oh yea... the cross bracing in the side windows were missing. Well we still had some extra lengths of clear stretched sprue that we use for antenna wire for larger models. You can still see a piece of it in a micrometer and it measures up at .005. Once this glue cures I'll blend in the glue joints. OK You can bring me my Medication now!" - Dennis

"I brushed on Model Master bottle O.D. Its kind of thick but thats ok I wanted to see if I got all the seams on the frame joints. I guess the plan is once it is really dry to sand the canopy to be sure the paint is not lumpy, then block off the bottom and give a finale coat of the OD spray can. Then give the cockpit bottom a coat of flat black. Once all is dry we will start with the Krystal Klear. Then I will either have a P-38E/F with an acceptable canopy or a blob of melted plastic."-Dennis

"Say, do these "Guns" look the correct size? Will be positioned correctly at final installation." - Dennis

"The front windscreen, top canopy and 2 side windows have the Krystal Klear. Even tho it was upside down when it dried the top canopy concaved a little bit. Gotta think of a way to fix that." -Dennis

Seeing that the top canopy concaved a bit I decided not to use the Krystal Klear on the last 4 bigger windows. Going back thru the supplies I found some thinner clear plastic so I took the bandai canopy back out and tried to vac u form again just to get some pieces.

"This time it somewhat worked enough so that I could start cutting and fitting. You can see the vac u formed canopy and to the right of it one of the front side windows. For a size perspective I put a nickel next it." -Dennis

"Another size perspective pic." -Dennis

"The 2 front side windows are in, once the glue is dry the edges of the windows will be blended in to the frames and body with paint." -Dennis

All set, waiting for the right markings to come along.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

wow - you are my hero. I love these little planes ( I have several sitting on my desk) but I do not possess anywhere near the ambition or skill you have!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tom,

My father appreciates the kind words. Thanks! He's pretty happy with the results too. We hope to find a worthy scheme to apply to this P-38 soon. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:49 pm 

WOW! great Job! I can only think of Japanese Sandman , or White 33 (?). But if you had another one, I'd say to do Lefty's Lighting! Again, Great work, Thanks for sharing with us mere mortals ! :wink: :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cool!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nice Dennis! Way better than the alternative!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:51 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thats amaziong work on such a small model. Great job!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ