Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

On February 24, 1991, Allied forces moved into Iraq and Kuwait, starting the ground war of Desert Storm.
To that end, I have formed a living history group dedicated to the veterans of this war. We'll be displaying the vehicles, uniforms, weapons and equipment of America's quickest (and perhaps most decisive) mechanized campaign.
There are only three of us right now but are looking to gather a few more. The current plan is for events in 2011 only. If it goes over very well, we might continue.
More to come on our site: http://desertstorm20th.webs.com/index.htm

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just got back from Armed Forces Day, our first display event as a group. Got some good backgrounds but sadly all with trees (you just can't simulate Kuwait in Western Washington). The tank was an Iraqi one, captured by a Fort Lewis unit in 1991, we got that shot as we were leaving. It rained off and on but all in all, a good time was had by all!
A lot of people just didn't know enough about the DS era to know how to react to us, but we got a lot of favorable response and nothing negative. Here are some shots we got today...

Ed, Me and Pete at the display as we got our gear on. We didn't get a shot with the tent, wish I had now:
Me with one of the better DS era vehicles, a M-50 (I think) water tanker in DS markings:
Ed and I with an Iraqi Type 59:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We just had a display on the 4th, didn’t get as many people as I’d expected, though, but it went over well anyway. I marched with my M249 and people really took notice to that!
Part of the equipment layout I had on the 4th. Note the MOPP suit still in the wrapper (pre-1990 dated) to the top right. The tan “pot” to the bottom center is Iraqi.
Along the parade route, I was the lone dismount as WW2 Jeeps were needed for dignitaries and I left my Jeep at home, so one of the guys had to quickly switch to WW2 mode:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Auburn, WA Veteran's Day parade (the largest such parade West of the Mississippi) turned out really well yesterday, in spite of the fact several spectators didn't really get this was to commemorate the 1991 campaign. We had four period vehicles and 6 people well outfitted and armed for the 1990-91 timeframe.
My back and shoulders are killing me now from the weight of the ruck and flak vest, but was so worth it. The weather was downright perfect, just a little cold but no sign of rain anywhere. I don't think the weather for this parade had been this good in years.
I'm the one with the military 'birth control glasses' sunglasses, my issued pair from the 90s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

When I run my 1969 Era 5 ton wearing VN uniforms, and I get confused with todays military....HA.

Looking Good guys!!! You are starting a movement that has to happen sometime.