Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: HGU-55 Sizing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:15 am 

I'm in the process of sorting out the purchase of a HGU-55 for use in my flying. In looking at the sizing information I am right on the upper edge of the sizing for a medium, or the very bottom edge of a large. From those with more experience in HGU-55s, is it better to get the helmet size that is the smaller, snugger fit, or to go for the next size up for comfort. I am thinking that if I'm wearing the cloth helmet liner/skull cap to soak up sweat and keep the interior of the helmet good, going with the larger size may be the go.

Looking for advice from those with experience in HGU-55 sizing and comfort.

Regards,

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-46
Historian by Appointment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

When you do, look into the Oregon Aero products as far as there memory foam inset kits. You will like them. They are adjustable and yes you do want a snug fit. Also Headsets Inc. in Amarillo, Texas make a ANR conversion for the audio side of the helmet.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:06 am 
Account Suspended

Since im a collector in Australia of flyingear and own quite a few HGU-55 helmets i would say go for a large size and pad that down rather than medium as you weill have more room to fit in a large.

I own one of the first HGU-55 ever made in a 1982 dated contract as i understand - helmet is also pretty worn so it make sense.

HGU-55 is nearly 30yrs old and still nothing to replace it yet.

The HGU-2P/2AP lasted for around 20years in service and still is in updated form as HGU-26/P in other countries.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:34 am 

Thanks for the advice. Lynn in my googling and searching various threads I had found Oregon Aero and their products look really good. I will follow up the Headset Inc lead as well.

Regards,

Historian by Appointment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:40 am 

Colford,

Send me a PM if you want helmet gouge..

I use AFTO 14P3-1-151 (the USAF TO for the HGU-55/P Helmet) for fitting, inspection & maintenance.

Personal recommendation is to go large and use the 3/4" or thicker Zetaliner from Oregon Aero. What are you using for the sizing chart.. I don't engage in "bashing" but if its the chart from Flightsuits you might as well use the chart for a WWII tin infantry helmet.

What are you flying? You need to make sure you're using a product with the correct impact protection for your steed.

Post subject: Sizing for flying
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 am 

Hi Bloke,

Thanks for the post. I am primarily using information from a number of Gentex publications, plus a couple of other sources - no not the company you mentioned.

I have a couple of different types, all fixed wing ranging from a big round radial tail dragger, another big round radial, and am working on a couple of other options/endorsements. For two of the types in question, when they were in service use pilot's use to wear HGU-55 or equivalents and a number of other pilot's flying them currently tend to wear similar.

Regards,

Historian by Appointment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Colin, you won't go wrong with the Oregon Aero Products as the comfort is appreciable after wearing on for hours.... :wink:

Lynn