Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm using some acrylic paints. First time I've used acrylic on leather, so we'll see how it turns out. If it turns out good, I'll probably sell it. If not, I'll have a cool jacket to go junkyardin' in. :lol:

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:43 pm 

While we are on this subject, who makes a good B-10 jacket today. I am 6'4 and 220 so I am a little taller than most WW2 pilots ( except Jimmy Stewart...he was allot thinner :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 pm 
Pvt. Joker

Randy Haskin wrote:
The Cooper A-2 (mfd circa 1988) is the most close to "authentic" -- it is based on a late 1930s jacket (I don't know which manufacturer, unfortunately) that was pulled out of the NMUSAF. Unfortunately, as was mentioned, the cut is designed for a pilot sitting with his arms down and wearing a Mae West -- if you raise your arms above shoulder level, the rest of the jacket will pull up to your chest!

That’s why my Cooper jacket from that era was retired as a prop for Airshow Bob with very little use. He needs a helmet though, LOL.

I also have a lightweight CWU-36P Nomex jacket that I’ve hardly ever worn, outside of being a crewmember on CAF aircraft. It’s a good piece of protective gear when you’re sitting in an aircraft, but it’s a lousy garment for street wear. Like the Cooper jackets, it rises up when you lift your arms, and you look silly when you try to shove your hands in the pockets.

The most comfortable leather jacket I ever bought was found at a closeout store for $40. It’s one of those generic “bomber jacket” things with lots of extra pockets. After nearly 20 years of wear in the cooler months it still looks great.

Warbirds of America

What are you waiting for? Join us!

Best way to contact me- email my last name @gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 pm 

Man-O-man, thanks for all the replies! This thing is just a big can of worms - there are so many possibilites.
Let me try to distill this down a little further. I live in SE coastal Georgia, so warmth is not a big deal (add on a sewn in or zip in thinsulite liner?). I am more interested in the modern accoutrements: side pockets, arms that don't bind when raised up, sized to a 50 year olds body, etc. I guess this puts me into the poseur category as I want it to look like the real deal, but also fit and function *out of the cockpit* well.
With this caveat - authentic, but modern - who are my best sources? I think this takes Goodwear and Eastman out of the running.
Also, since this will be a mail order and I will not have the benefit of seeing, touching, smelling, trying on the jacket it is imperative that the company help to size the jacket properly and will take it back if it is not right. Does this narrow my field better?
Finally, which hide is the softest and most supple? And is this a contraindication to durability? Some of the jackets pictured look stiff as boards.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:48 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

corsairman wrote:
Finally, which hide is the softest and most supple? And is this a contraindication to durability? Some of the jackets pictured look stiff as boards.
I prefer ratskin, but that's just me. For you, goatskin would probably be good enough. In my experience it is softer and more flexible than leather. Any of these jackets should outlast the purchaser as long as they are stored properly (not left to bake in a dry attic for 20 years). The heavier leather bomber jackets can be quite stiff.

What I have discovered is that my leather jackets shrink a lot with age so I have to periodically replace them... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My lovely Bride (of 30 years) gave me a new one for Christmas. I have authentic embroidered CBI and 10th AF shoulder patches. Can't fine the pictured "Fighting Crows" and "Fire From the Clouds" five inchers so am having embroidered ones reproduced from Dad's hand made leather patches.

End result, a replica of Pop's jacket (still hope to get the real one day). Good/bad news is I'll have 24 more of each patch. Not sure I need 25 A-2's. :lol:

Last edited by sdennison on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 pm 

corsairman wrote:
Man-O-man, thanks for all the replies! This thing is just a big can of worms - there are so many possibilites.
Let me try to distill this down a little further. I live in SE coastal Georgia, so warmth is not a big deal (add on a sewn in or zip in thinsulite liner?). I am more interested in the modern accoutrements: side pockets, arms that don't bind when raised up, sized to a 50 year olds body, etc. I guess this puts me into the poseur category as I want it to look like the real deal, but also fit and function *out of the cockpit* well.
With this caveat - authentic, but modern - who are my best sources? I think this takes Goodwear and Eastman out of the running.
Also, since this will be a mail order and I will not have the benefit of seeing, touching, smelling, trying on the jacket it is imperative that the company help to size the jacket properly and will take it back if it is not right. Does this narrow my field better?
Thanks again.

Since you are in coastal GA call the Mighty 8th Air Force Heritage Museum and see what size A2s they currently have in gift shop. I bought my cooper there a few years ago. They dont have cooper anymore but they have a good replacement. 912-748-8888 . That way you can stop by and try it on .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In addition to the six CWU-36 and -45 (green and tan) hanging in the closet, we've got four A-2s in the house right now. One is my wife's from when she was a loadmaster. It's the current issue with all arm pit extensions, interior pockets and side entry pockets.

One of mine (the one I wear at work now) is about six or seven years old. It's made by Avirex and was issued to me by the Air Force. I took it to Turkey and had the armpit extensions, good liner, pencil pockets and such added.

The third one was my original I was issued. I'd still be wearing it but I tore the zipper out and never have gotten it fixed. It's made by Saddlery and I had all the mods put in it in Turkey as well. It also has the collar hook that is missing on most of the issued ones.

The fourth one was purchased in 1992 or so by me in Incirlik, Turkey. It was made by Pops Leather Shop and has been bullet proof. It's the toughest jacket I've ever seen. It's got a different pencil pocket than the other ones do.

Over the years, I've brought A-2s back from Turkey for my daughter, niece, two nephews, dad and mom.

None of the jackets I've ever seen are as tough as the wallet I've been carrying for nearly 25yrs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hera's another web site to check out before you buy.

http://www.acmedepot.com/index.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

bdk wrote:
Although not Anorak approved,

Best quote of the thread.

fleet16b wrote:
I have been collecting aviation clothing for over 30 yrs.
Hands down , Eastman Leather Clothing and Goodwear are the two BEST repro examples on the market.
DO NOT waste your time on Avirex, Cooper, Schott etc.
They are not even close to being accurate.
You will have to pay as they are pricey but 100% worth the money.
I wear an ELC Roughwear 1401 Russet Horsehide A2. It now has over 500 flying hours on it and gets better looking as it ages. Tough as nails.

First off, you have to make a distinction between WWII-era "accurate" and otherwise. Yes, as you say most of the current manufacturers outside the ones you mention do not make a true-to-the-pattern A-2.

BUT, to so tell someone not to waste their time on the other manufacturers is a little overboard. It's all ready been noted that these jackets deviate from the wartime pattern, but does that make them not 'authentic'? Again, both Brad and I have posted our actual USAF-issued jackets by Avirex -- last time I checked, actual issue items were 'authentic'. Not the same as a WWII pattern jacket, but still an authentic us military A-2.

Finally, there is no relation between authenticity and quality. Good to know your 500-hour Eastman is looking great. So are the Avirexes issued to Brad and I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:18 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Randy Haskin wrote:
bdk wrote:
Although not Anorak approved,

Best quote of the thread.

:D

Being frugal when it comes to hobby items, I generally opt for best value. How many of us are really experts on these things and could tell the difference? If 99.8% of the general populace thinks it looks right, that's good enough for me. Of course I don't judge those that want an exact replica since that is their area of interest. It is another great facet of the hobby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:51 am 

US Authentic Mfg Co - aka. flightjacket.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 am 

bobbrunn wrote:
While we are on this subject, who makes a good B-10 jacket today. I am 6'4 and 220 so I am a little taller than most WW2 pilots ( except Jimmy Stewart...he was allot thinner :D )

Eastman make the best B10 by far, BUT......

Although probably the most comfortable and lightest of the wartime warm flying jackets (more so than the later B15) the Eastman B10's are very accurate, so come out on the short side for a jacket to be worn with jeans or modern clothes in general.
You have to remember the B10 was designed to be worn with the similar material A9 flying trousers which came half way up your chest :lol:

B15 is a slightly better bet than a B10, but the 15 is a bit heavier, but in most respects is a more practical jacket for casual wear.

I've actually just bought an Eastman 'Rough Wear' B15 to wear as a replacement for the B10 for the reason stated above.

If you want post war nylon versions, the Japanese company Buzz Rickson do superb B15B and B15C versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 am 

Some general A-2 information at http://www.acmedepot.com/
And mine from Cooper...The excellent 357th FG patch was made by Howard Loska at www.split-s.us

Take care,

Paul

Aero Part Identify Board
http://www.iphpbb.com/board/fs-81805422nx79380.html

"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:03 am 

For "Authentic, but Casual".....have a look at Avirex or Cockpit USA as their retail branch is known. The owner of Avirex just happens to have a hangarful of active flyable warbirds known as the American Airpower Museum at my home field of Republic Airport Farmingdale NY.

In a way you can buy a jacket and support a warbird!

Pete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next