Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:16 pm 

During WWII what sorts of motorcycles were used by the Germans, and more specifically, what types were equipped with a sidecar? This site doesn't have a specific forum for this, so I figured re-enactors might know...

The reason I am asking is because my Uncle found one he had forgotten he had in his shop. He builds scenery for theater, film and anything else that needs pieces built, this particular motorcycle lacks the original engine and was used onstage in a production of "The Producers"(I believe the national tour that ran not long ago, and this may be the original bike from the movie). The bike has a sidecar and is equipped with a plastic engine mockup to keep weight down, as the bike was pushed onstage.

I am sorry I don't have pictures, but I am in NY and the motorcycle is at the shops of Scenic Asylum (Taury Lee inc.), which is in Wilmington, North Carolina.

If anyone knows where an appropriate engine could be located it would be appreciated too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 am 

Deleted

Last edited by Old SAR pilot on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 pm 

I shot this photo of what I believe is a German motorcycle.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2034493 ... 3568bUvnmI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:21 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

BMW's were common as were Zundapps that had a flat motor that was a beemer look alike. NSU is gone from the scene. I used to know this kind of stuff but after I got out of bikes I went deep into warbirds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:09 am 

BattleRabbit wrote:
If anyone knows where an appropriate engine could be located it would be appreciated too

Probably best to get intouch with the MVPA and they will be able to point you in the right direction for correct identification of type and a possible source of engine etc.

http://www.mvpa.org/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 pm 

the motorcycle in the photo is a chinese made Chang Jiang CJ750.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Jiang_(motorcycle)
they are still built in China. that bike looks new. Several people import the bikes to the US and then paint them up to look like Wehrmact cycles.
you can look on line for a Chang Jiang 750 dealer for another engine, or look on eBay for the whole bike.
Frankly, the bikes look cool, but they are pieces of crap. I owned three of them. one bike's engine siezed after 50 miles because the oil leaked out. they are poorly manufactured and assembled.
Knowing that, have fun.
Jim