Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Wings Over Houston 2014
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:05 pm 
An outstanding show is in the works for the November 1-2 Wings Over Houston air show this year. Just announced plans for all of the Collings Foundation Vietnam jets (F-4D, F-100F and TA-4F, etc.) to fly in the show this year during a 50th Anniversary Vietnam War salute.

From the show's Facebook page today:

Wings Over Houston Airshow
2 hours ago · Edited
Don't miss this year's WOH 2014 special 50th anniversary salute to Vietnam!

Wings Over Houston, in coordination with the Collings Foundation and the Vietnam War Flight Museum, will fly the F-100 Super Sabre, F-4 Phantom II, A-4 Skyhawk, T-33 Shooting Star, multiple UH-1 Hueys, AH-1 Cobra, A-1 Skyraider, MiG-21, Mig-17, multiple A-26 Invaders, O-2 Skymaster, O-1 Birddog and more along with ground forces and pyro in a special tribute to our Vietnam veterans!

The Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall will also be on display - http://www.travelingwall.us./

We are also pleased to announce that the Collings Foundation Messerschmitt Me 262 Schwalbe jet fighter will be joining our WW-II line-up as well!

No where else but Wings Over Houston!

Looks like a can't miss event this year!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:27 pm 
Weather looking good and a great Vietnam tribute/demo planned for this coming weekend in Houston. Sorry to see that the F-4D will not be ready in time for the show, but with the F-100F and the other Collings jets it should be a terrific show. Posted on Fence Check today:

Re: United States - Texas - Wings Over Houston 2014 - Houston - 11/01/14
by invader696 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:01 pm

The F-4 will not be flying in the show. Unfortunately, we will not have our newly overhauled engine back from the shop in time. We pushed and pushed to have them meet the deadline, but it did not happen. Expect to see her up again around the end of this year or beginning of next. The engine is running in the test cell, but there just isn't enough time to get it here, get it in the airplane, and safely get her flying in 3 days.

That being said, EVERYTHING else is good to go. The Me262 did a check flight this morning, the F-100 will do a taxi test today with a test flight Friday. The A-4, T-33, and Huey all did a flight last week and are good to go as well.

For those of you on the fence, I can tell you that I've read the desired script for the show, and Vietnam will be nothing like we've ever seen before. I'll venture to say that it could be a Vietnam version of Tora, Tora, Tora. It will be 30 minutes long with the fast movers, the slow movers, artillery, ground troops, helicopters, and lots of pyro! It is going to be VERY cool! The 262 will participate in the WW2 portion and I would expect a tail chase with a P-51 and possibly some formation fly-bys as well.

I know of 3 statics thus far. A B-52, Hurricane Hunter C-130, and a NOAA P-3. Apparently the USAF told them they could have 2 statics. If they received 2 T-6's, then they were done, so they chose to go with the big boys. I'm not sure what else will be seen from the Navy/Marines or even the Canadians.

We (Collings) are very excited to finally get to participate in Wings Over Houston with the entire Houston fleet. Some of us have waited 22 years for this to happen. The jets will be positioned on the warbird ramp for all the see, so stop by and check them out!
invader696
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Aw man. Wish I could be there. Missed two years in a row now. Hope this year goes well and maybe I'll be able to come next year.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:19 pm 

Ryan your missing a GREAT year, so far there is two Huey's, one Cobra, Skyraider, A-26, F-100, T-33, TA-4, ME-262, P-51, three P-40s, OK F-16, BD B-52, Guppy, Bearcat, B-25, Wildcat,WC-130, PV-2 Harpoon "Attu Warrior", and the MIG-21! Also Rod Lewis is bring his F7F and 2 Bearcats so that will be THREE Bearcats on the field!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

How many L-birds?

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 pm 

None yet, last year they had a couple L-4s and an L-5, should be some coming in tommrow!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I wish I was bringing an L-5 like the last two times I was there.

Ryan