Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:05 pm 

On behalf of my dad (Bill) and myself, I would just like to say that it was great to meet some fellow WIX members at the Aviation Museum. It's always good to put some names and faces together. I hope everyone visiting Canada enjoyed their stay and had a safe trip home.

It was my second chance to attend the Canada Day Festivities at the museum. If there is any day to go to the Museum, July 1st is it!

I posted a few of photos to my webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/turretmike

Take care,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:51 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

mrhenniger wrote:
Scott and Ryan left in one car, and Steve Tournay in another just a little while ago, bringing to an end the Ottawa WIX B-Flight.

We all had a great time. Wednesday night we sorted out the IDs off a number of aircraft featured in some slides that had been loaned to me. They were shots of various aircraft operated by Kenting in Canada, including B-17s, Hudsons and Cansos.

The largest number of people at the gathering occurred on Thursday at the museum. I believe it was our first tri-national WIX meet with James Kightly representing England, Scott and Ryan representing the U.S., and of course a number of Canadians. All had a great time. The best part was watching Ryan drool all over the B-24. I heard they are still cleaning it! :wink:

On Thursday evening Scott, Ryan, Steve, Catherine, and myself, bussed ourselves into the down-town and went to a concert on Parliament Hill including Tom Cochrane. That was fun! We were there with a huge number of jubilent Canadians, shoulder-to-shoulder, who also filled the streets around the hill. The concert ended with the start of the fireworks, which was an impressive display.

Friday morning we concluded the gathering with a chat on various topics at the Henniger Hilton.

Now I am trying to catch up on WIX.

Looking forward to seeing many of you a Geneseo!

Mike

I just wanted to take a moment and thank Mike And Catherine Henniger for letting Ryan and myself stay with them. I had a wonderful time and it was great meeting so many WIXers in one place and finally meeting so many friends in person. I especially enjoyed dinner and the opportunity to discuss a wide range of subjects from aircraft to Red Dwarf. The fireworks were amazing. On the way home we stopped by several small airfields including one with a Canso tucked away in a vintage hanger.

I'm looking forward to Geneseo and will start getting film developed tommorrow.

Thanks again to the Hennigers!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:45 am 
WRG Associate Editor

I'd like to thank Mike and Catherine as well for their great hospitality over the past three days... it was a great time and a wonderful mini-vacation! Yes, I was guilty of oogling over the B-24... but can you blame me? I am sure if I could have weaseled my way into the storage area, I'd do the same with the Mossie and the Battle! It was also outstanding to see Steve's and Mike's photos... some really great captures of great aircraft! I loved seeing the slides that Mike had too... it was like getting a first shot of photos like the Larkins collection... warbirds in civil use and unknown to anyone else!

It was wonderful meeting everyone and putting faces and voices with the words we see on WIX all the time. Scott and I chatted on the way home (continuously) that this was the best part of WIX and the internet... people from far away and closer than you think can get together and share interests on a system like this, build a community here, and then meet in person like old friends and have a heck of a great time without the need to break the ice!

Can't wait until next weekend at Geneseo!

Ryan Keough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:47 pm 

Could anyone tell me if Potter operated his Spitfire out of Rockcliffe?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:22 pm 

He only did a couple of pass and one touch-and-go at Rockcliffe. I don't know from where he arrived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:51 pm 
S/N Geek

J-F St-Pierre wrote:
He only did a couple of pass and one touch-and-go at Rockcliffe. I don't know from where he arrived.

I would guess he is still operating from Uplands. However, I have heard that we will be moving his collection to Gatineau. I am not sure if he is operating from there already, but from the direction he exited, I would say Uplands.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:24 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

He's in Gatineau, some one I know saw it last week.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:39 pm 
I had not heard that he was thinking of moving. At least in the smaller airport in Gatineau it may be easier to get a peak at his collection once in a while. Though I'm not sure how photography is out there. I've never tried.

I missed his flypasts, but I did have an interesting view I had never had before. I was heading east along the parkway near the museum when he made one of his passes. Headed straight towards my car, then banked right, out over the river, just as he was passing over us. Windows were all opening just to hear the music. Never had a Spit come straight at me before. Good thing those cannons were not loaded!!

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:59 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Nice one Charles!

I envy you!!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:18 am 
But it would have been better if I has been out of the car, camera in hand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi all,
A rather belated greetings and thank you. It was great to meet up with so many familiar names and put faces (and in the case of Scott, hair) to them!

I certainly had a great time chatting with everyonre, and it certainly enhances the experience going about with people with so many different sorts of experience. And as Mike Berry said, Canada day is the day to go.

Big thanks to Scott for instigating WIX and making it happen, Mike and Catherine for getting it all together (and keeping the meet going) Ryan for his input and generosity, and everyone who said 'hi'.

If you are thinking of joining a meet, do. A knowledge of comedy TV shows will help...

All the best,
James K