Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:34 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

whyme wrote:
Not that I wanna break stones,but I liked the old forum.If it ain't broke,why fix it? Should we start a new revolution like a lot of people are doing at Ebay because of a "new and improved" version of a page?
How about a poll? :twisted:

Actually it was broke, not visibly to the users but on my end. I was stuck on a old server plan that thanks to the new ownership of the host couldn't be upgraded because it used outdated software (ie MIVA, the software running the old board). That software is has itself morphed into MivaMerchant and did not support the old forum scripts) The result was that I could not expand the sites storage or bandwith (both of which we were exceeding on a monthly basis, resulting in hefty charges). I looked for almost a year for a solution and realized that nearly forum software currently used is in the format. those that weren't had less functionality than the Miva software. So I had to make the hard choice. One of the reasons the WIX has its own URL is so I can keep the archives intact until I can get them converted to a usable, and stable format. Then I will shut down the original host and finish moving the files to the new host.

The good news is that the php based forum is very customizable and very common. So we shouldn't run into this probablem again since I can easily move this to almost any host.

The customizability of the software means that eventually I will be adding the ability to directly import pictures into a message from your hard drive. I have the software add on and will be running tests on a dummy forum soon.

All and all it was a necessary move and I hope you will at least give it a chance.

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I liked the old forum, partly as on a dialup connection, and with the string forum, I could follow, quickly, what was going on. However times move on, and even I am converted to more graphic rich websites and boards, though, still at home in the wilds of Oxfordshire, I am on dialup.

I also think it's good (thanks Scott) to know a bit of the 'Why' behind the scenes. Let's move on!
Cheers
James K

Post subject: Re: Welcome WIXers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

15 years.... Where does the time go?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ